The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I use to use that black or blue fish tank backing. It was very hard to cut perfect and you always see the tap on the sides. Inevitably you will get air pockets which are quiet visable. Also if water got between the glass and backing you would see spots.

On my last two tanks ive painted them. I bought a cheap black latex paint and rolled it on. Takes several coats to make it not see through.
Of course is easiest done with a new setup.

In the future i might try to replicate the plastic stuff that fades blue to black.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I did some research for the tank I'm about to setup and acrylic paint seems like the way to go. Sure it scratches more easily than latex but it is way easier to remove. Once you get it started with a razor blade it actually peels off by hand.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
:proud:

Bump: with what type of paint you recommend?
The only requirements are that the paint be opaque, easy to remove by scraping, and cheap. I wouldn't use Fusion. Instead I would use the cheapest spray can acrylic paint I could find, either gloss or flat black (the glass makes them look the same from the front of the tank.) What ever you use will stay there for as many years as you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.