The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so i was talking to my LFS guy about a good reliable mini heater to use on my edge... he actually recommended an under the tank riparium heater.?.?. Ive never thought of using an under the tank heater until he mentioned it, cant believe ive never seen it done before. Makes perfect sense though, its about 2/3 the size of the base of the stand and maybe 1 credit card thick, plus nothing in your tank and nothing clogging up your filter!!! Anyone out there ever try this on a nano tank? any input/opinions?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks yikes, Ive read nearly that entire thread, all 30 pages of it :) Seen alot of diff options for heating the edge, but still i dont recall ever reading about anyone using an under the tank pad heater.

Maybe this is a dumb question?

Is it common for people to use a pad heater that sits under the tank on a nano???? or is that unheard of and completely impractical?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres the exact brand/style heater he recommended, this is a pic of the med 10"x11" theres also a small that measures 8"x8".The footprint of the fluval stand is 8"x11.5". The small would be a perfect fit. Has anyone tried or seen this done??

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This specific heater has a pull off layer and the entire thing is adhesive. I could stick it directly to the outside bottom of the tank or just lay it on the stand and sit the tank on top of it.

Just so we are on the same page this heater does not go IN the tank. It is made to sit beneath the tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have one of those exact ones for my leopard gecko, but how will you control the temperature? mine gets close to 100*F which would absolutely COOK any fish. you would definately need a thermostat

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have one of those exact ones for my leopard gecko, but how will you control the temperature? mine gets close to 100*F which would absolutely COOK any fish. you would definately need a thermostat
Thanks these are the comments im looking for!!! I see how in a terrarium it would heat the substrate a significant amount, but when its faced with heating 6 gallons of water what would it do? I really doubt theres any way to adjust it.... But still anyone out there ever seen this done before???

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks these are the comments im looking for!!! I see how in a terrarium it would heat the substrate a significant amount, but when its faced with heating 6 gallons of water what would it do? I really doubt theres any way to adjust it.... But still anyone out there ever seen this done before???

I would advice against this, with the inability to CONTROL the heating.. it's just not worth while. How are you filtering your tank? If it's by a canister filter, might I suggest an inline heater?

If not, I would look into a plain old submersible, but I would imagine no more than 50 watts. I know Big Al's has a 50 watt for CHEAP:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18532/si1381841/cl0/bigals50wattaquariumheater

You could go the marineland or higher quality route, but know that you'll be investing about $20 or so, which still isn't terrible.

Again I highly advise NOT to use one of those under tank mats used for a terrarium.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is for a 6g Fluval Edge, see my thread. I wanna keep the heater out of sight, in the HOB is another option. I would have never even thought of trying an under the tank heater had my LFS guy not recommend it.... Generally he's a VERY reliable source of info and advice, but this one i questioned :confused: Im gonna have to ask him the reasoning behind this recommendation!!! I usually dont have to 2nd guess him, he is the store owner and has worked in the pet industry all his life, the aquatic side being his specialty.... For whatever reason he seems to think "under the tank (pad) heaters work great for small tanks" those were almost his exact words. ????

Everything you guys have said has only reassured my original thoughts... But is their something we dont know???

Id still like to hear from someone who has actually tried it. I'll let you know as soon as i talk more to my LFS guy!!

THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Id still like to hear from someone who has actually tried it. I'll let you know as soon as i talk more to my LFS guy!!

A friend had tried this on a smaller tank as well, ended up overheating the tank and killing his fish. In all seriousness, you have three options.

1) If the ambient room temperature is warm and fairly stable.. choose inhabitants that live in that temperature range.

2) Stick it out and buy a submersible heater. I'm not sure sticking it in the HOB would be a good idea, never tried it but personally I'd be afraid of it melting plastic. Not sure however.

3) Disregard the warnings you've been given and try it. Keep it mind you have a possible overheating issue AND they are not made to be water proof or possibly even water resistant, so you take the risk of electrocution or shorting it out.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'd say go with a 25W submersible heater.

The heating pad looks like a bad idea. Heating would be quite inefficient as it would have to pass through the glass and the gravel. Additionally, there's no temperature control. Unless you are willing to shell out at least 50 dollars more for even a half-decent temperature controller.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those temp controllers are cool, I think thats a must if anyone tries this heating method. I've decided to steer away from it. Thanks for all the great tips guys!! Keep it comin, maybe well stumble upon someone who has successfully done this.

Thanks!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts