The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about ready to put a couple batchs of rcs up for sale on the s/s. The other day I bought some breather bags from tundragirl.

How do you guys suggest the shipping method, double bag the shrimp or is one breather bag sufficient, any other special things I should make sure to do so the shrimp all arrive safely?

By the way I have a few CRS and yesterday I finally saw a baby in the back of the tank, FiNALLY!

Thanks

Chuck

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
1. Put them in with tank water and some moss or guppy grass.
2. Grab the bag from the top and slide your hand down so that the bag is filled with air and rigid. Don't blow air in there because your expired air contains a lot of CO2.
3. Twist the bag and rubber band it.
4. Fold the top of the bag over and rubber band it again.

Some people then take the bag and put it into another bag upside-down. I don't but that's up to you.

Then I put it in a box insulated with newspaper if it's a close desination or insulated with styrofoam if it's going to a cold place.

Tape it up. Voila.

·
Registered
670 Posts
no air is required that's why they are called breather bags. o2 and co2 are exchanged through the bag. I believe there are instructions on the bag. I usually knot the the bag in 2 spots leaving no room for the water to slosh around. Put a bit of plant in for them to hang onto-moss is great for that. Package the bag in a box big enough that the bag can be cushioned by peanuts or shredded newspaper( my preferred) and not bounce around. Mail priority w/ delivery conformation.
Little bit different for cold weather shipping.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I would recommend not using any living plants in the bag. They won't get any light during the shipment and will be using up oxygen or dying. I use filter floss (Eheim Ehfifix) and I'm really pleased with it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've always seen and heard of people using plants with shipping. Even though they won't get any light, they can still be beneficial as the shrimp can cling to it, eat off it or use it as a bio-filter. I've always seen moss and najas grass used, so I don't see the problem.

Do you need to mark the box "Live shipment/animals" or something like that? Remember where it asks you if the box contains liquid or anything like that?
I'm about ready to start shipping out RCS, as I just got some breather bags yesterday, but still need to figure out how I'll wrap up the box, what to use, etc...making sure everything's ok... roughly how long can they last in the breather bags, provided temperature doesn't get too hot or cold?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have heard of few instances when the shrimp have arrived dead with a rotting piece of plant. Using live plants when the shipping time is short shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't risk it with the ones taking over a day. I don't think it would be such a big investment/a lot of work to use filter floss instead of plants just in case.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've seen several different things interchangeably called filter floss. Are you referring to the foam stuff used as the white foam filter pads (also sold in bulk as pillow stuffing)? Or, do you mean the plastic-like stuff sold in strips and often used in wet/dry filters?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do you need to mark the box "Live shipment/animals" or something like that? Remember where it asks you if the box contains liquid or anything like that?
I may have messed my future shipping up...I asked the same question at the Post Office. They stated (having asked the "head office")..."The shipping of live fish/shrimp is not allowed" or not legal, or something like that. You can ship tadpole? (baby frogs) though. I have not shipped live animals (well a few odd snails in plants), but my suggestion is don't tell the PO that it is live animals, and don't leave any air in your breather bags...the 2 shippments of RCS I got did not have air in there...If a PO worker hears sloshing, the package is immediatly taken out of the system (this is what I was told)...I will have to start shipping non-live through my PO, before I ship shrimp so they won't be suspisious, or I will have to use a PO in another town to ship.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
hmm, it must not be illegal as there are many reputable companies that sell fish and inverts via USPS...maybe they meant that you need a special permit or business license? That may be true...but I also know that if you make less than $5,000 (I think it is), then you don't have to claim it on taxes as the IRS considers it a hobby, not a business.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just pack mine well with crumpled newspaper to pad the breather bag, and don't mark anything special on the box. I ship out plants and snails more often than shrimp, but don't see any particular difference in the contents or end result.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
When I shipped my Endlers I just tied the breather bag with a tight knot and left no air in the bag. They went from Ohio to California without any troubles (even giving birth along the way).

Rubber bands and Kordon breather bags don't mix well in my opinion. I tried and it just kept popping off. Best bet is to tie the bag with a tight knot and then maybe rubber band it.

Only thing I mark on the box is "This End Up". If they ask why I just say the package is fragile. Although I have received shrimp with "LIVE ANIMALS" written on it. *shrugs*

·
Registered
803 Posts
... my Endlers ... They went from Ohio to California without any troubles (even giving birth along the way).
OMG! :icon_lol: Now that's one tough type of fish!

Although I have received shrimp with "LIVE ANIMALS" written on it. *shrugs*
Me, too ~ they were bettas from New Jersey. I even unpacked them in front of my postmaster to show him and he didn't say a thing (he used to breed them when he was younger). Maybe my postmaster's turning a blind eye?

Also, I think marking "LIVE ANIMALS" is the key for shipping fish/shrimp. I recently got a shipment of shrimp from another forum member (Milalic ~ he packs WELL! :proud: ) and asked him to mark "Live fish" or "Live shrimp" on the package. He did and said they wouldn't take it at the PO. Yet, again, I've gotten bettas just fine with "Live animals" on the outside.

I've also gotten chicks in the mail (baby chickens). Those are shipped in such a way that it's not possible to not know what's in the box (lots of ventilation and marking on the outside of the box, plus you can't help but hear the chicks inside chirping). So I know withoutadoubt that shipping live animals IS allowed. But just maybe not fish and shrimp because of the possibility of leakage? That'd be a bummer if a package of fish leaked badly and it was sitting on top of a stack of other packages.:eek:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Now that I think about it more, I bet that's the reason. It's not that it's illegal, but they probably frown upon it or even reject it (in some cases) because of the threat of leakage. Afterall, when sending a package (at the Kiosk, that is) it asks you if there are any liquids, etc and the only way to be allowed to proceed is if you state "no".
Maybe Rex or someone else who knows more about this will care to comment.
I've received shrimp in the mail before as well. Both times it was a small box marked "Live animals".

·
Registered
37 Posts
From the USPS website:

Mailing Live Animals
Anyone shipping live animals must call the District Expedited Services Office (ESO), which coordinates and clears such shipments. The ESO will tell you where to drop off your “live” shipment and notify the accepting office.

The availability of a drop-off site may vary depending on transportation or the retail site’s ability to handle large volumes. The ESO tries to make acceptance points for live animal shipments widely available and ensure protection of the lives while in the postal system.

With the September 25, 2006 inception of live animal mail transport on the FedEx Network, the number of retail outlets available for live animal acceptance increased significantly. Transportation on commercial carriers continues to be available.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.