The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone on the forum using Ozone to improve water quality in freshwater? I live in China and use tap water (not potable). My ORP controller reads a fairly constant 290.

I change about 25% of the water weekly and I inject CO2 during the daytime currently controlled at PH 6.7. Dkh is 6.8. Plants are flourishing but the fish are struggling with the lower PH.

Is there a benefit for the inhabitants? What other water parameters would be affected if I added ozone?

Tank is ~400 Liters. Photoperiod is 6 hours.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Ozone reduced organic contaminants...I think your issue is probably a combination of metal contaminants and organics. I don't really think it'll help. Ozone is something very hard to control. Too much and you kill your fish too little and it does nothing.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
this article may help you understand water quality in terms of ozone or the oxygen reduction potential of your aquarium.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Redox_Potential.html

there are certain elements that will help with redox, and some that will hurt it.. prime helps, and uv sterilizers will also help.. turn on a UV in a tank full of organics and redox agents.. water will cloud instantly but within a day it will be nice and sparkly so to say..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all for your comments and advice. After following the two links it looks like maybe a little more than I want to tackle right now. I am still fine tuning the Co2 controller and ferts.

Maybe later this year? If I do....I will let you all know the result....

Right now getting ready for three weeks in the US for home leave..... Hope I still have a tank when I get back :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry.... forgot to add. I have no idea what the contents of the water is..... No water report available here that I can find. I am limited to the data I get from test kits that I bring in with me and the PH/ORP controller.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Not sure RO/DI would get me to drink water that wasn't safe to drink going in. I'd be concerned with bacterial levels and such. We are use to taking water already safe to drink and making it better.

When I reach in my tanks now my only poop concern is from the fish. lol

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
i'll be honest.. tap water filtration plants use bacteria as their primary filtration method and chlorine to kill off whats left.. my tank has the same bacteria and so does yours..

I'd drink my tank water if i didn't use it to water my plants... all the bacteria is weighted since it is full and stays on surfaces.. the water will have a fertilizer/ dirt taste to it but is otherwise safe... unless u have parasites and such in ur tank or sick fish

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Couple health studies have been done in other countries that show a high level of occurrence of Salmonella in LFS and hobbyist tanks. I'm not afraid of my water but I sure wont drink it.

The OP is in China and and if officials say it's non-potable I'm going to believe them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
i'll be honest.. I'd drink my tank water if i didn't use it to water my plants...
I'm dedicated... but not as dedicated as THIS guy! I guess my destiny is to always be the padawan and never the jedi because I would have to have no other option laid before me before I drank my tank water and I put honest effort into keeping my water pristine because I know I am the sole provider of the quality of life those animals have but... I am not drinking it.

I'll tell you what blazingwolf lets make this fun, I like a good gentlemen's wager. You make a clip for youtube and name it "You owe me 50 Abe" and in that clip take a pint glass and fill it to the rim out of your tank and drink it and I'll paypal you 50 dollars. You have to drink the whole thing and in the clip I want the complete tank and you so we know there isn't any funny business... You game?

In this economy 50 bucks is 50 bucks and could help hehe.

And the plot thickens.

Abe

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'd be keen to watch blazingwolf drink his own tankwater. However, I think that Mycobacterium marinum or Fish Tuberculosis bacteria as it is known, would be something more dangerous to consider, as it is actually a common danger which humans can contract from fish.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.