The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was sold to me as an Ozelot Sword, but the leaves are round and uniformly green... not like the pics I have looked at. Any thoughts?

But, my question really is why I have leaves coming in at the base but not growing taller.

Here is a pic. http://www.flickr.com/photos/supracoracoideous/3960279899/in/set-72157621868170711/

It has gotten thicker since then, but no taller.

46 gallons. Water is hard with a pH slightly over 8. 76F. dose Flourish and Flourish Excel every day or two. Amm 0, Ni 0, and Na always under 5, closer to 1 or 2 usually.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The original leaves may have been grown emersed and not submersed. It doesn't look like a Ozelot, either. Swords need a lot of root nutrients. Adding some root tabs will help.

From the compact looks of your plants the lighting must be very high. Surprised you don't have a ton of algae. Yet?

How much lighting are you using and how long have you had the plants?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 78w with 46 gl. I do have algae, but its not too bad. I have been meaning to buy root tabs, but I think I am going to rescape and add some Ecocomplete to part of my tank. I just thought growing leaves with no stalks was odd.

The lighting point makes sense, but i didnt think i had more that moderate lighting, not even 2w/gl. My vals are growing new leaves that are pretty thin, compared to the leaves that were there when I bought it. About half the width.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have 78w with 46 gl. I do have algae, but its not too bad. I have been meaning to buy root tabs, but I think I am going to rescape and add some Ecocomplete to part of my tank. I just thought growing leaves with no stalks was odd.

The lighting point makes sense, but i didnt think i had more that moderate lighting, not even 2w/gl. My vals are growing new leaves that are pretty thin, compared to the leaves that were there when I bought it. About half the width.
No, not an awful lot of light. How many hours is it on for?

Since they're in plain gravel they may be starved for nutrients. Yep, eco-complete would help.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
The plants are short of food (NPK) referring to the photo. At less than 1.5wpg my low tech puts color in hygro, reopens, and my melon sword (which is what that looks like). This thread covers the fish spawns for the most part but post #75 shows the tank set up.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/87012-55g-low-tech-angel-tank-56k-5.html
The lighting is 4X15w plant grow bulbs. Color and size will come when you feed the plants.
Following photo from the site library.

Root tabs will help more than eco-complete if only one is to be added alone(IMO)
The tank in the above linked thread has been set up for 20+ yrs with plain old river gravel. About a year ago I guess I added flora base adding about two cups a week untill I had added about 2/3's of a bag allowing it to find its way through the existing gravel w/o tearing down the tank. It helped a lot with the plant growth but I now add root tabs replacing/adding new ones about every three months. Plants grow very well and less algae issues.
Best of luck going forward.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What you have looks more like Echinodorus osiris (sp?)...there's nothing there to indicate it is ozelot (neither red nor green variety). It's a nice sword plant, but there isn't any chance of speckling like the ozelot's have, as far as I know.

Sorry. Somebody didn't know the species when they sold it to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My lights were on for 14 hours, but algae started up so i took 4 hours out in the middle of the day, so 10 total now. I will have to look more into what species is. I didnt quite think it looked like the Melon, but I will have to see what it grows into after i add fertilizers...

Thanks for the help. Anything else ppl want to add will be appreciated, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.