The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recieved Salvinia Minima as a freebie with an order of some jungle val. I didn't know the shipper was sending me this freebie so naturally after I found out what it was I began researching it only tp find out it is on the noxious llant list for Texas :-(. I read that it is illegal to sell, export, or important this plant in Texas. So do I have to throw it away or can I keep it? Will the agricultural enforcement people come knocking down my door and raid my house for a handful of these bad boys lol. Please let me know what to do.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Well, you can keep it, but you can only sell to people in your state. It's probably going to be a plant that grows fast and you have more of than you ever really wanted to start with.

You can toss it now, or prepare to toss the extra's you grow from it later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it's on the noxious plant list for your state, be sure it's good and dead before getting rid of any of it. That's what the authorities really care about - they don't care if it's in your aquarium but they don't want it to find its way into the wild.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Texas is a bit paranoid about invasive plants. If you want to see why, you should go to any of the local rivers north of San Antonio.
Hydrilla did damage to these rivers and lakes like nothing else I have ever seen. The warmer climate of Texas mixed with the low number of plants in many of the spring-fed rivers produced the perfect climate for total chaos.
Kill the plant now!
Floating plants are particularly hard to kill. I recommend burning them, but out in the dry sun should work. Just remember where you live, if one seed makes it into the local water system it could be havoc. Considering that everything in San Antonio eventually gets washed downstream, I would be very careful.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You should experiment with it! Dose it in its own tank at 5x's normal amounts of ferts and see if you can make a mad monster :hihi: It can either die from OD or it will run you out of your house :icon_eek:

Seriously though, just kill it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
If you kill it, don't flush it obviously or put in in the trash. Just let it dry out before throwing it out, or nuke it in the microwave, or compost it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I can keep it and just bag up all the extra that grows and burn it in a barrel every so often? I don't really want to get rid of it because it looks nice. I never even considered any floating plants but now that it was gifted to me I don't want to see it go lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts