The Planted Tank Forum banner

OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> A Bunch of Fibs and Honest Lies

45171 173
The Tank:
rimless, regular glass "shallow cube" by Mr. Aqua @ 24" x 24" x 12"H.

I have been looking for this tank for 6 months: ADA does not make it, GLA is out of stock and is not answering my emails, DB has a black rim on the bottom and black silicone. So, the Mr Aqua's MA-610 turned out to be my only viable choice.

The quality is pretty acceptable, especially for $160:

The above is the worst area I found so far: the back of the left panel is slightly mis-aligned and you can see the silicon work. Hm. I hope it holds water. The side panels's thickness appears to be 5mm, with the bottom significantly thicker.

This tank will replace my 10g that I picked up while looking for this tank.

The tank's location is a bit awkward: it will sit on a 10.5' long x 32" high x 24" wide divider between the Living and Dinning rooms. That divider already houses my 120-P and 60-P tanks:

View from the house entrance:

View from the Dinning room:

You can see the existing 10g on the very left on the picture above. (my wife is a Saint, ... or close).
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I lost two rams in two weeks. Just a bummer. Moved the remaining pair to QT. Otherwise, the tank is doing well and is pretty much unchanged. I'll pimp this thread a bit, with latest pictures on the way.

v3

· Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I lost two rams in two weeks. Just a bummer. Moved the remaining pair to QT. Otherwise, the tank is doing well and is pretty much unchanged. I'll pimp this thread a bit, with latest pictures on the way.

v3
Sorry about your rams. I have found Rams to be one of the hardest species to keep. Look forward to new pictures though.

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
In short, the tank is just doing fine, even with lack of reasonable maintenance.
Quick pictures before I pull the scissors out:

· Premium Member
4,842 Posts
Wow, that exploded since the last time I saw it haha. It wasn't like it wasn't 150% planted then. Looks good, I think this is my favorite tank of yours.

I have been meaning to hit you up btw but I have plenty of poor excuses as to why I haven't haha, busy with such and such here and there, really I am just very poor about planning multiple things or planning for anything but my immediate future. Lets meet up soon, I will drop you a PM or text.

· Registered
3,890 Posts
How are you keeping the flow in this tank? Also, I am slowly starting to hate you and everyone else with your gorgeous, open top riparium style tanks...

I want your tanks, they're gorgeous.

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Leaving this tank alone was, arguably, the best thing I have ever done for it. I really don't remember the last time I did a WC. I did hack emergent plants here and there, did some top offs, and kept removing floaters when I could not see the surface.

From all my non-existent records, of which this journal is the main one, and some futile head and butt scratching, failed attempts at recollections, non- committal whines and eye-contact avoidance from my late night partner, self-hypnosis, and tasting the tank water, mid-August of 2013 is as good time as any to admit to a WC. So, tonight I could not ignore it any longer and off I went pulling my way to the substrate.

Most of my other tanks receive infinitely more attention (well, in comparison) and none of them have as clear inner walls as this one. Some snail eggs here and there, a totally weird, lamp shade shaped patch of Ricca somehow climbing 12" of the rear wall (right by the red LED back light, suspiciously following the light's reflection outline) there is nothing but a squeaky Mr Aqua glass.

I wish I could claim a total absence of algae (I have already lied enough for one day) but I did find a tuff of BBA clinging to a Java Fern's leaf's tip. Nothing on the driftwood (must be toxic), just nothing.

I have this fear, now that I have put my hands inside, I will be selling algae by the pound in a week's time - black, green, hairy, slimey, and (hopefully) even red.

To be cont'd, maybe later today, maybe in 2015.

v3

· Registered
5,740 Posts
Hopefully the next update will be sooner rather than later, and your hands didn't deposit unseen algae spores in the tank ^^

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
This is truly and amazing looking tank. Love the over grown look. A colony of roughly 1000 cherries would look righteous.

At what point would "you" consider it over grown?
Thank you. It currently has about the same number of guppies, spanning 17 generations.
I have multiple (off-the top of my head, spur of the moment) definitions of "over-grown/planted". Today's is "cannot fit the trim back into the tank".

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Anyways, the rogue stand of Taro had to go. It's not that I have anything personal against Taro, except that it's supposed to be edible or useful in some other ways in agriculture. Which does not give it any right to take up 1/4 of my tank and keep falling on lesser known, underprivileged plants.

It looks better in (prison) orange. On second thought, it gets re-planted:

The other green meat pays the price:

Grimly satisfied with the areal massacre, anything below the water line is next.

· Registered
134 Posts
Wow. Wow, I really like this tank. If they made them 18"x18"x9", I would be all over them.

My pygmy corys were most active when I had 8 of them. They schooled a lot and tended not to mind me observing the tank. Now that I'm down to around four (sometimes they just disappear into the plants and never return :( ), they usually "play dead" when I come up to the tank. Guppies didn't do much for them as dither fish.

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I was wondering why the Fluval 404 on this tank has been rather quiet for a while. Lo and behold, it has been all clogged up with roots growing up the intake - no flow that I could detect.

I freed the intake, got the air out of the filter, got the flow going and now it is back to it's machine-gun annoying stutter.

If the tank managed to flourish without a working filter for 3+ months maybe it does not need one?

I am sorely tempted to swap it for 2 x Finnex PX-360 that I have just laying around or just go without ...

v3

121 - 140 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.