The Planted Tank Forum banner

OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> A Bunch of Fibs and Honest Lies

45154 173
The Tank:
rimless, regular glass "shallow cube" by Mr. Aqua @ 24" x 24" x 12"H.

I have been looking for this tank for 6 months: ADA does not make it, GLA is out of stock and is not answering my emails, DB has a black rim on the bottom and black silicone. So, the Mr Aqua's MA-610 turned out to be my only viable choice.

The quality is pretty acceptable, especially for $160:

The above is the worst area I found so far: the back of the left panel is slightly mis-aligned and you can see the silicon work. Hm. I hope it holds water. The side panels's thickness appears to be 5mm, with the bottom significantly thicker.

This tank will replace my 10g that I picked up while looking for this tank.

The tank's location is a bit awkward: it will sit on a 10.5' long x 32" high x 24" wide divider between the Living and Dinning rooms. That divider already houses my 120-P and 60-P tanks:

View from the house entrance:

View from the Dinning room:

You can see the existing 10g on the very left on the picture above. (my wife is a Saint, ... or close).
61 - 80 of 174 Posts

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Fish Moved

Only took me 1.5 hours to move all the fish over. The last C. pegmaeus took the last 30 mins. I had to empty the tank to catch the fish: they had panic attack and I had a heart attack, so, we are even. All fish is accounted for except one cory :( Need to check Ammonia again tomorrow and hope for no dead bodies.

On the plus side, the red tiger lotus turned into 3 and E. Vesuvius mutated into 3 + a ton of runners. I lost count of Blyxa, Sag, and snails.

Sort of feeling sad taking a perfectly good tank down that had no issues and low maintenance, but it could not remain on the dinning room table forever.

All set:

Dump most of the plants into the infamous kitchen sink:

The poor 10 :( Blah
Re-filled to keep the filter going and the plants alive:

New home.
- where the hell am I?
- where are my buddies?
- who is that ugly dude?
- I wanna go home!

· Registered
797 Posts
Sort of feeling sad taking a perfectly good tank down that had no issues and low maintenance, but it could not remain on the dinning room table forever.
that is a shame, a lot of people (including me) struggle to get a healthy tank with good growth, and then there's guys like you tearing down healthy low maintenance tanks :wink:

j/k, this thread is really motivation for me of what to shoot for!

· Premium Member
4,842 Posts
more stones from talontsiawd? :)
I would but I feel I has giveith you all my rocks. I know a secret stash spot though, exit your door, walk 100 feet forward (after the steps), then 20 right. You would be surprised what you find:icon_lol:

If you ever want to go rock finding at the rock yard, I am down to help you out if you like that type of stone.

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I would but I feel I has giveith you all my rocks. I know a secret stash spot though, exit your door, walk 100 feet forward (after the steps), then 20 right. You would be surprised what you find:icon_lol:

If you ever want to go rock finding at the rock yard, I am down to help you out if you like that type of stone.
Actually, it's on the left :)

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
New NPK Mix

I was stupidly messing around with my dosing. The result: hair algae all over my high light tanks (I added too much PO4).

Back to the drawing board. This is what (I think) I want a single ferts dose to be for 20g of water:

Which is 3 : 1 : 1 : 2 ratio of KNO3 to K2HPO4 to K2SO4 to Epsom Salt.

I have 275g worth of water to dose every other day. 275gl / 20g = ~14 of 20gl doses a day.
I want to mix enough to last for a month: 14 doses * for 15 days = call it 200 doses even.
How much stuff do I need for 200 doses? Say for NO3 above: 0.350 tsp * 200 doses = 70 tsp.
70 teaspoons / 3 = ~ 25 tablespoons of NO3. Close enough.

It's easier for me to use liquid then dry. I dump all the stuff into 4,000 ml of water (all will not dissolve in 2,000) and end up with a single 10ml dosage for 10 gallons of water. A full dosage will be used on high-light tank and 1/2 for low to medium light tanks.

Phew, all this gives me a headache :)

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Re: OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> NPK dosage recalc

Generally the custom filtration/overflow Is easier before the tank is planted, however I am sure we can figure something out :D

It's looking great!! Curious, what dosing calculator is that.. Well ok I can see the title do you have a link?? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

I will settle for a sump.

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)

The rams spawned again but the eggs do not look fertilized to me even though a male is guarding them.

All fish seems to congregate in the back where the plants are the thickest. I no longer see even rams up front. That's not cool.

I expect 10 Amanos and 8 Aplocheilichthys Normani to arrive on We, hopefully they will liven up the tank.

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Notes to Self

Moved the rest of the AS from the 10g to this on - now the substrate level is to my liking.

A pair of rams are still guarding their eggs than now look fertilized. The second pair was also attacking my hand pretty vigorously but I could not find the second set of eggs. Searching in the darkness does not work well. I am curious how the rams will receive the amanos and killies that I expect today. Red carpet is unlikely.

Very little crypt melt, I expected a full tank of mush.

On a totally different subject, all BNs that I have, I purchased as juveniles. Looks like I have 2 male regular BNs in one tank, 2 male Albinos in another, two more albino BNs males in yet another, and 1 regular and 1 albino females in still another tank. My gut tells me that the current housing arrangements are unlikely to produce offspring. Funny enough, I was looking for males when I purchased them. Now the Fortune strikes back.

My current WTS plants thread is at the very bottom of page 3, after 5 days. Bleah, just 'love' the 'new' SnS.

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Got the fish on We, one Normani DOA, another did not last a day, and another is not looking well. All if them look totally undernourished.

Cute little guys. Everything I have read pegs them as mid-level fish needing only very gentle current. These guys did not get the memo as they hang just underneath the surface, in the strongest area of the current.

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I only have 4 Normani left alive :(.

Lowered the lights 4" as Blyxa was getting yellow and Hygro Brown US dropping lower leaves.

Will measure PAR later today: my guess that I am just above low. Can't lower the light any farther as some emmersed plants seem to be getting burned. Might have to add another fixture.

Pygmy corys are in constant hiding. Not sure if dither fish will help or whether the rams are the problem.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
PAR measures from 16 at the front left corner to 30 at the surface. How come the plants are not dead?

61 - 80 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.