The Planted Tank Forum banner

OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> A Bunch of Fibs and Honest Lies

44564 173
The Tank:
rimless, regular glass "shallow cube" by Mr. Aqua @ 24" x 24" x 12"H.

I have been looking for this tank for 6 months: ADA does not make it, GLA is out of stock and is not answering my emails, DB has a black rim on the bottom and black silicone. So, the Mr Aqua's MA-610 turned out to be my only viable choice.

The quality is pretty acceptable, especially for $160:

The above is the worst area I found so far: the back of the left panel is slightly mis-aligned and you can see the silicon work. Hm. I hope it holds water. The side panels's thickness appears to be 5mm, with the bottom significantly thicker.

This tank will replace my 10g that I picked up while looking for this tank.

The tank's location is a bit awkward: it will sit on a 10.5' long x 32" high x 24" wide divider between the Living and Dinning rooms. That divider already houses my 120-P and 60-P tanks:

View from the house entrance:

View from the Dinning room:

You can see the existing 10g on the very left on the picture above. (my wife is a Saint, ... or close).
41 - 60 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well, friend, it's all your fault: I started looking for this tank once I saw yours :)
Stay tuned, I am planting atm. I cannot fit in all the plants I want...

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
:hihi: too funny! Mine is in DSM with HC right now while I'm on travels. Hoping to get mine flooded again in the next month.

Best of luck!

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Re: OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> Initial Planting

I will move the fish I have in the 10g this tank is replacing:

2 mated pairs of GBR
7 Sparkling Gouramies
20 Pygmy corrys

I also have 3 whiptail cats that could use a new home.

Eventually, might add a dozen Ammanos and maybe Ember tetras. That should be a full house :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I do tend to dump in as many plants as I can when I start a tank... and then spend years trying to thin it out.
It's hard to do with so many cool plants and no room to put them all isn't it? I have went through phases of collectoritis and thought I had finally kicked the habit when I redid my tank but I have noticed it's starting to kick in again.

Time to go find a collectoritis anonymous meeting somewhere.

The tank is looking good by the way. I really wish I had the time for another tank because I really do like these shallow tanks also. I would love to do a moss only tank but maybe when the kids are grown up and move out, but my 8 year old did tell me the other day that he wanted to live with us forever. He will change his mind by the time he's a teenager.......right????

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I would love to do a moss only tank but maybe when the kids are grown up and move out, but my 8 year old did tell me the other day that he wanted to live with us forever. He will change his mind by the time he's a teenager.......right????
Don't worry....we change our minds XD

Perhaps though its something you could do in a smaller tank, as like a pro to-type idea...besides, if your son gets into the hobby as he gets older, you don't per say know what kind of things he'd want to do with it :p

Also, tanks looking great OVT

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Re: OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> Initial Planting

Thank you.
The hardware is nothing special and I get the plants from my other tanks :). A lot of people get theirs from the same place.

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Riparium Plants

Riparium plants are in. C. parva keeps floating up as I don't have enough substrate up front.
0 < Ammonia < 0.25

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I really can't wait to see this in person. It really trips me out that this was just an empty tank on your table like 2 weeks ago or so. I know you hate scaping and just like to grow beautiful plants but I think you are nailing it here. I will trim it for you, no charge, if I get the clippings lol. I loved your 10 gallon but I can see why you went a different direction.

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Cycled

Thank you people. I am really trying not to screw this one up.

This tank needs shrimps from speedie408, a custom overflow from NWA-Planted, more stones from talontsiawd, and bitFUUL's patience and perseverance and some Christmas moss or such from h4n. Only THEN I will call it done. Any volunteers? :)

Ammonia is 0 ppm and NO3 is at 10 ppm today. From fill to cycled in 9 days, a bit longer then I actually expected.
Looks good enough to start moving the fish over - a process I absolutely hate.

41 - 60 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.