The Planted Tank Forum banner

OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> A Bunch of Fibs and Honest Lies

44624 173
The Tank:
rimless, regular glass "shallow cube" by Mr. Aqua @ 24" x 24" x 12"H.

I have been looking for this tank for 6 months: ADA does not make it, GLA is out of stock and is not answering my emails, DB has a black rim on the bottom and black silicone. So, the Mr Aqua's MA-610 turned out to be my only viable choice.

The quality is pretty acceptable, especially for $160:

The above is the worst area I found so far: the back of the left panel is slightly mis-aligned and you can see the silicon work. Hm. I hope it holds water. The side panels's thickness appears to be 5mm, with the bottom significantly thicker.

This tank will replace my 10g that I picked up while looking for this tank.

The tank's location is a bit awkward: it will sit on a 10.5' long x 32" high x 24" wide divider between the Living and Dinning rooms. That divider already houses my 120-P and 60-P tanks:

View from the house entrance:

View from the Dinning room:

You can see the existing 10g on the very left on the picture above. (my wife is a Saint, ... or close).
21 - 40 of 174 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Re: OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> Flood-ed

Hay OVT how many WC have you done to change

to

I'm a little concern about flooding my dsm in 2 weeks and I think I get the same AS as yours.
0 with 24 hours between pictures.

I did a 95% wc a day later because I had to reposition the tank. Another 15% wc one more day after that. I am mostly skimming the junk off the top and let the filter and plants to do the rest.

I am a bit peeved as it took just 1 day from mud to clear on a 10g. I am going to add a powerhead back to blow the dust off the substrate.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Coming along nicely!! Always amazed at your plants, simply gorgeous!! Is that aromatica in the sink/tub?
Thank you. It is Aromatica, I want to see how it does in low light. I bet I will lose the pink but the tops should look nice from above.

·
Invert Warrior
3,885 Posts
OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> Flood-ed

Awesome start. I love the amount you've got it planted. Super neat looking.

Laughed quite hard at the few and proud comment. I always add snails to cycling tanks, too.

I've been planning a super small version of this, lately. Shallow tanks are just so neat.

What stocking in the future are you looking at?

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Ammonia still at 1 ppm: 30% WC + more plants + some AS from an existing tank.

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Well, friend, it's all your fault: I started looking for this tank once I saw yours :)
Stay tuned, I am planting atm. I cannot fit in all the plants I want...

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Initial Planting

While waiting for the reparium stuff to arrive, I did preliminary planting to get the feel for the tank. That C. Parva is indeed tiny, I might have to rethink the front a bit. The back is pretty packed. I feel like I am already running out of space and I still have a ton of other plants that I wanted to put here.

Some re-positioning will be in order, depending on how high the Parviflorus parviflorus 'Tropica' and C. wendtii v. Tropica will grow in this tank. Hopefully they will stay close to the ground.

This is where I ended 2 days ago:

5/23/2013:

FTS: still pretty cloudy

Point of view (front):

Point of view (corner):

Back:

Back Point of View:

I really like how Bacopa australis stands out:

Right front corner:

Until later ...

·
Invert Warrior
3,885 Posts
OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> Initial Planting

My thoughts are that it is overplanted. I think this would look neat with more substrate showing. Kinda like a real riverbed.

Still looks good, just a thought.

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It does feel a bit over-planted. Will take me several days to see what I like and what stays, what goes.
Trade you plants for moss? :)

·
Invert Warrior
3,885 Posts
OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> Initial Planting

It does feel a bit over-planted. Will take me several days to see what I like and what stays, what goes.
Trade you plants for moss? :)
Haha I don't have much spare moss right now. And I've got a few people who would also like a trade. I'll keep you in mind when I do my next trim ^^. Some mini Xmas moss patches would look pretty incredible here.

I'm a pretty low stocking planter and low stocking fauna person, so I don't actually need too many more plants, although your collection is quite impressive lol.

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm a pretty low stocking planter and low stocking fauna person
I do tend to dump in as many plants as I can when I start a tank... and then spend years trying to thin it out.

NWA-Planted said:
Looking very nice. your right I do need to fly you down to scape my tank haha
On my way. Get the Master Bedroom ready and don't forget the steaks for the pup. I do assume open bar?
I might stop at Frank's and pull some of his crypts on the way home.

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Additional plant inventory

I still have suitable plants that did not make it into the tank.
I do really welcome critique and advise. Thank you in advance.

Alternanthera Reinekii
A. barteri v. barteri
A. barteri v. nana
C. nurii
C. "Green Gecko"
C. crispatula var. balansae
C. pontederifolia
C. Cryptocoryne wendtii (green and red)
Clinopodium Brownei
E. 'Vesuvius'
Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Star Grass
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Hydrocotyle Sp. Japan
Hygrophila angustifolia
Java Fern (regular, narrow, and needle)
Italian Vals
Banana Plant
Rotala 'Bangladesh'

Hm...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Re: OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> Initial Planting

On my way. Get the Master Bedroom ready and don't forget the steaks for the pup. I do assume open bar?
I might stop at Frank's and pull some of his crypts on the way home.
Oohh wwee that escalated quickly ;) I do have some really good centinial Mexican tequila haha

In regards to the plants, not sure you could really add much more without taking some out first... Hrm

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

21 - 40 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.