The Planted Tank Forum banner

OVT's 30g Shallow Cube Riparium --> A Bunch of Fibs and Honest Lies

44624 173
The Tank:
rimless, regular glass "shallow cube" by Mr. Aqua @ 24" x 24" x 12"H.

I have been looking for this tank for 6 months: ADA does not make it, GLA is out of stock and is not answering my emails, DB has a black rim on the bottom and black silicone. So, the Mr Aqua's MA-610 turned out to be my only viable choice.

The quality is pretty acceptable, especially for $160:

The above is the worst area I found so far: the back of the left panel is slightly mis-aligned and you can see the silicon work. Hm. I hope it holds water. The side panels's thickness appears to be 5mm, with the bottom significantly thicker.

This tank will replace my 10g that I picked up while looking for this tank.

The tank's location is a bit awkward: it will sit on a 10.5' long x 32" high x 24" wide divider between the Living and Dinning rooms. That divider already houses my 120-P and 60-P tanks:

View from the house entrance:

View from the Dinning room:

You can see the existing 10g on the very left on the picture above. (my wife is a Saint, ... or close).
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I really can't wait to see this in person. It really trips me out that this was just an empty tank on your table like 2 weeks ago or so. I know you hate scaping and just like to grow beautiful plants but I think you are nailing it here. I will trim it for you, no charge, if I get the clippings lol. I loved your 10 gallon but I can see why you went a different direction.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
more stones from talontsiawd? :)
I would but I feel I has giveith you all my rocks. I know a secret stash spot though, exit your door, walk 100 feet forward (after the steps), then 20 right. You would be surprised what you find:icon_lol:

If you ever want to go rock finding at the rock yard, I am down to help you out if you like that type of stone.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I lost two rams in two weeks. Just a bummer. Moved the remaining pair to QT. Otherwise, the tank is doing well and is pretty much unchanged. I'll pimp this thread a bit, with latest pictures on the way.

v3
Sorry about your rams. I have found Rams to be one of the hardest species to keep. Look forward to new pictures though.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
Wow, that exploded since the last time I saw it haha. It wasn't like it wasn't 150% planted then. Looks good, I think this is my favorite tank of yours.

I have been meaning to hit you up btw but I have plenty of poor excuses as to why I haven't haha, busy with such and such here and there, really I am just very poor about planning multiple things or planning for anything but my immediate future. Lets meet up soon, I will drop you a PM or text.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I was wondering why the Fluval 404 on this tank has been rather quiet for a while. Lo and behold, it has been all clogged up with roots growing up the intake - no flow that I could detect.

I freed the intake, got the air out of the filter, got the flow going and now it is back to it's machine-gun annoying stutter.

If the tank managed to flourish without a working filter for 3+ months maybe it does not need one?

I am sorely tempted to swap it for 2 x Finnex PX-360 that I have just laying around or just go without ...

v3
I have done no filter before. It's kind of fun to have that accomplishment, though even if you don't have issues, it never will help. I would just throw on the Finnex if it were me.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
also PHOTO UPDATE PLEASE! (of this an all your other 'tanks'/picos etc)
All of them? Or just most? Probably one of the few people who have a crazy amount of tanks, without a dedicated tank room, yet no room is overwhelmed by tanks. A house tour video would be better haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.