The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I currently have about 8 tetras in my 10g. i really like how they flock together. I am thinking to go crazy and overstock until maybe 20 tetras in a 10g.

What do you think? i see tetras are very peaceful fish, and i have never seen them pick on one another. do you think it is possible, if i increase my WC frequency weekly?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
they need swimming room imo that is way to small, just cause you can keep 20 in there with frequent wc doesnt mean you should and if you have it planted you have even less than 10g prob 8or less so if you want more imo get a bigger tank.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10gal seems to be plenty of space even for a 20 tetras. They always swim together and doesnt seem to have any territory area.

I mean, what could possibly happen to them? stressed out that they jump out? I think im gonna add gradually, like 10,15,etc. I mean, I've seen a few 8g and 10g at the LFS that stocks 20+ tetras... with no visible problems. I mean I go to that LFS often, and all of them seems to be ok for quite a long time already.

Im just gonna do it. :icon_smil

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have about 10 or 12 in a 20 gal. I started out with more but they died out. I guess one was sick and it spread to the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 20 harlequins in a 95G which is totally understudied. But I'll be increasing them to 30,40,50,60 eventually.

I think you should do maybe 10-15 maximum. Too many fish don't look good in a small tank.
Yeah... 20 is probably pushing it. im gonna add them 3 at a time.. and see how it goes... 15 seems like a nice number after looking back at my tank.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
10gal seems to be plenty of space even for a 20 tetras. They always swim together and doesnt seem to have any territory area.

I mean, what could possibly happen to them? stressed out that they jump out? I think im gonna add gradually, like 10,15,etc. I mean, I've seen a few 8g and 10g at the LFS that stocks 20+ tetras... with no visible problems. I mean I go to that LFS often, and all of them seems to be ok for quite a long time already.

Im just gonna do it. :icon_smil
a lfs overstocks due to the fact they are not permanat homes they are temperary holding until sold off, and yes they can get stressed an die, also overstocking any fish greatly incresses your chance for the tank to crash due to to much waste which corrilates stress = dissease. i still highly reccomend going against overstocking... can i ask why are u looking to increase your population so much?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
By the way, what type of tetras are we talking about?

Neons you could probably get away with 15 but anything bigger, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, what type of tetras are we talking about?

Neons you could probably get away with 15 but anything bigger, I wouldn't.
Chrisinator, Cardinal Neon Tetras...

HypnoticAquatic, i like more fish in my tank because I love how they flock by the many...

anyway thanks all for your inputs.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It is not a matter of how many can fit into the tank, but rather how comfortable an environment you can provide. Let's take an average apartment-sized bedroom, 15' by 12' by 8'. Sure you could probably put several tiers of bunk beds in the room, but would you really be comfortable sharing that living space with, say, ten other adults? Probably not. Tetras are schooling fish, which means that they swim from side to side in your tank. Too many in there and you will end up with very unhappy pets. This is just my personal opinion, of course, but just because you technically can do a thing does not mean that you should. The best thing you could do is to buy a larger tank.

·
Registered
703 Posts
A 10 gallon tank really is tiny for these fish and you will find the undersized space will take it's toll over time and they will most likely start to drop off long before they near their real potential size and lifespan. This is something you may need to experience before you believe it.

Also seeing a big school of small fish swim together across a nice long tank is beautiful, while seeing a big jumble of fish with nowhere to swim just looks like a fish store tank. If upgrading the tank is not an option then shrinking the fish would make the tank bigger - going say with chili rasbora instead.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Almost all tetras get to be over 1" (if not all) and most get to nearly 2". I would not keep them in a 10G tank.

Go for the smaller rasboras species..espei, even chili rasboras or galazy rasboras.

For schooling fish of that size, even 10G is a bit small imo...they need horizontal swimming space.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a tetra tank (20 long), planted, that is no doubt way overstocked. It started as helping a friend hold some extras, but they are all doing so well, and for quite some time now (over a year) that I've left it be. 7 neons, 5 black neons, 4 lemons, 4 white tips, 4 silver tips, 2 flames, 3 glowlights, 4 blood fins, 3 red eyes, 1 emperor, 1 pristella, 4 corys, 1 clown pleco, 3 otos, 1 SAE, and 1 forktail rainbow. Not sure how it stays healthy; I do water changes every 2 weeks and feed sparingly. Obviously the plants help rid the nutrient level of toxics. The tank has eco complete as a substrate, and 2- 24" HO bulbs and 4 LED moonlights. I add flourish, excel and florapride, but at reduced levels. Filtration is an aqua clear 50. I have ended up loving my tetra tank. It's not flashy like my marine and reef tanks, much more subtle and my only FW tank. But the fish are fascinating to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a tetra tank (20 long), planted, that is no doubt way overstocked. It started as helping a friend hold some extras, but they are all doing so well, and for quite some time now (over a year) that I've left it be. 7 neons, 5 black neons, 4 lemons, 4 white tips, 4 silver tips, 2 flames, 3 glowlights, 4 blood fins, 3 red eyes, 1 emperor, 1 pristella, 4 corys, 1 clown pleco, 3 otos, 1 SAE, and 1 forktail rainbow. Not sure how it stays healthy; I do water changes every 2 weeks and feed sparingly. Obviously the plants help rid the nutrient level of toxics. The tank has eco complete as a substrate, and 2- 24" HO bulbs and 4 LED moonlights. I add flourish, excel and florapride, but at reduced levels. Filtration is an aqua clear 50. I have ended up loving my tetra tank. It's not flashy like my marine and reef tanks, much more subtle. But the fish are fascinating to me. BTW the singles were singles from the getgo, not surviving members of a larger group.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hyphessobrycon amandae is a good option.and yes tetras need long tanks .
as for my tank. it is a 15 gls with around 100 fish..and they are tetras (tetras that i did breed). but i will not advise to do that overstocking experiment.

20 ember tetras in your tank will be ok
also i will say that i am against blue tetra or hasemania nana.they are way too active and need a 150-200 cm long tank

anyway you will be surpised how hardy tetra are in a fully but FULLY cycled aquarium.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a tetra tank (20 long), planted, that is no doubt way overstocked. It started as helping a friend hold some extras, but they are all doing so well, and for quite some time now (over a year) that I've left it be. 7 neons, 5 black neons, 4 lemons, 4 white tips, 4 silver tips, 2 flames, 3 glowlights, 4 blood fins, 3 red eyes, 1 emperor, 1 pristella, 4 corys, 1 clown pleco, 3 otos, 1 SAE, and 1 forktail rainbow. Not sure how it stays healthy; I do water changes every 2 weeks and feed sparingly. Obviously the plants help rid the nutrient level of toxics. The tank has eco complete as a substrate, and 2- 24" HO bulbs and 4 LED moonlights. I add flourish, excel and florapride, but at reduced levels. Filtration is an aqua clear 50. I have ended up loving my tetra tank. It's not flashy like my marine and reef tanks, much more subtle. But the fish are fascinating to me. BTW the singles were singles from the getgo, not surviving members of a larger group.

Holy mother !! that's wayyyy overstocked! Can you post a pic of that tank? love to see it with so many fish inside..!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
his problem is not exaclty overstoking...it is more like....too many species of tetras with too little of individuals in each species
do not forget. in the wild tetras live in banks of hundreds or thousands.
in time i realised that the common "get at least 6 tetras" is not a good rule. a more realistic one is 30-50...if your tank can handle it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts