The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering at what point would it be considered overstocking a 20g tank.

Heres the current stock list:

12 Ghost Shrimp, 8 Neon Tetras, 3 Chinese Algea Eaters, 1 Glolight Danio.

Was looking to add:

10 Red Cherry Shrimp... maybe some more neon tetras

I know its not much off a bioload, but just wondering peoples viewpoints on this.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Okay.....

Gotta get rid of the CAEs. They are great fish when small, but the get upwards of 6-10 inches and they get grouchy as they mature. Great fish for mid-to-large-sized cichlid setups. not good for the average community. If you replace them with 3 otocinclus catfish, you'll be well set as far as algae eaters go. Otos actually will need extra food, cause the algae in a 20 gallon won't be enough. I use algae wafers.

I'd watch the ghost shrimp. Some have been known to prey on small fish. This most likely won't happen, but keep an eye or two or three on them just in case. Ghosts and also known to be a little territorial toward other shrimp. Get a few cherries, and see how it goes.

I'd get more danios (4-6) before I got more tetras, but either way. And no, the tank isn't overstocked. Just make sure you change 50% of the water once a week or 25% twice weekly. Your fish will love you for it.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Ditto: Danios are schooling fish and can get nippy if there are not enough. I really would return the one and get something else. Neons are a mid tank schooling fish. You do not need 2 schools that live in the same area. Get something that likes being near the top, perhaps a Honey Gourami, and absolutely! Return the CAE. Get Otos instead.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I need to get rid of the CAE, and want to with the danio too since he is by himself family wise. Friend gave them to me when he was changing setup. And needed a quick cleanup crew at the time with the CAE. I will def. drop them to the LFS soon.
The ghosts aren't aggressive, only selfish when its dinner time :) Little guys are quick to grab and run, cracks me up.
I will order some Otos, but how many you think I should get?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.