The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'd like some input on the community I'm building as for compatibility and quantity.

My main focus is on the Cardinals and would like to have as many as possible considering my tank size and fish.

I'm thinking of slimming the Cochuis but have heard 6 is better than 3 or 4.

Live plants
7 Cardinals
2m & 3f Endlers
3 Ghost shrimp
6 Cory Cochuis
1 Pleco Claro

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I do think that's a really heavy bioload for a 20gal tank. Especially with the pleco in there, since plecos are poop factories.

You can probably maintain it if you're great at keeping up weekly water changes and keep this tank really heavily planted, but personally, I wouldn't do it. Too easy for things to go wrong and crash.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I second what Laura said, it would'nt be overstocked. Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

That pleco actually replaced 6 otos on my list thinking it would improve things going with the smallest pleco available, 2.8" so I've read.

Do you think it would be okay keeping a smaller number of otos?

The main purpose of wanting otos or a pleco is simply because I would like to have a good algae eater. Not ot say I have an algae problem though.

I do do 50% water changes weekly and taking risk is definitely out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again,

Sorry for the bother but could you please comment again?

8 Cardinals
8 Cory Pygmaeus
1 Endler male
1 Ghost Shrimp

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
It would'nt be overstocked for a 20g.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jake

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Hi again,

Sorry for the bother but could you please comment again?

8 Cardinals
8 Cory Pygmaeus
1 Endler male
1 Ghost Shrimp
You could add back in some Otos if you go with that list. :proud:

The issues with Plecos is even the small ones have very high metabolisms, so are high bioload fish. 4x Otos wouldn't be the same bioload as a 2.5" pleco.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Laura.
I'm glad to see I can still have my Otos, 3 will be added.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
wow, thats understocked in my opinion, its not a bad thing... cardinals like to school though. You can have alot more... I think with decent filtration you can easily have 18 of them in that tank...

F

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow, thats understocked in my opinion, its not a bad thing... cardinals like to school though. You can have alot more... I think with decent filtration you can easily have 18 of them in that tank...

F
WOW!

IF the census agree, I'd love to have more Cardinals, they are my main focus.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it were me,

10 Cardinals
2m & 3f Endlers
3 Ghost shrimp
6 Cory Cochuis
3 otos

My only concern would be the endler numbers increasing as the breed. You could run into trouble there.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I second jabbott's idea.

·
Registered
322 Posts
In my 20 gallon I have
13 cardinals
3 cory cats
10 brown pencils
1 amano shrimp....will be getting more or cherry shrimp
1 small small discus
and did have a trifasciatus pencil in there to. But he is turtle food now.

I plan on adding some otto's also, if I come across a good species. Unless I get a zebra pleco.

As long as you have a decent plant load and follow a good maintenance schedule you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
three male endlers and one female endlers, this way you will still get a few surviving babies. 18 cardinal tetras, 6 oto cats, 12 cherry shrimp, 1 bamboo shrimp, and 3-5 cory cats

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

Planning just a 20 is not a very easy thing to do and all your input really sheds a lot of light. Thanks again.

How about this selection? I have to admit that this is scary, am I seriously not risking bio overload?

13 Cardinals
08 Cory Pygmy (still can't find the Cochui, may be seasonal)
06 Endler males
01 Ghost Shrimp
03 Otos (if I have to give these guys up, I will)

I've included 3 pics to show my plant load. There's a bunch of Anacharis in the rear-left, 7 individual plants, Java Moss on the small rock and driftwood and Duckweed that's maintained to cover about 70% of the surface they multiply like crazy.

I'm using an AquaClear20 HOB system with all 3 filter bags and a fourth additional ammonia remover bag. At every water change I remove the solid particles, if any, in the bottom of the AC20 by using the old water in the bucket to fill and pour out. I also rinse each bag by dipping them into the old water in the bucket once.

I currently change 10 gallons of water every 5-7 days. Not sure about the percentage but it's more than 50% considering the plants, rock, driftwood, sunken ship, heater, fish and 30lbs of Flourite Black. I can't shorten the interval if I need to but would rather adjust the quantity of water or fish to fit that water schedule, please let me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... I think with decent filtration you can easily have 18 of them in that tank...
Please tell me more about the filtration so I can accommodate them.

What if I had a single AquaClear 50 Power Filter with one mechanical foam, some water floss and 2 bio-max bags on top of it all (no carbon)? How often do you think I should change each of those considering my water change ritual of 10 gallons (more than 50%) every 5 to 7 days?

Thanks, I can't believe I may actually be able to pull it off...:icon_eek:

I want to have:
18 Cardinals
08 Cory Pygmy
06 Endler males
01 Ghost Shrimp
03 Otos

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
skip the carbon, use purigen, it takes out all the bad stuff but leaves all the ferts in... that filter should be fine for those fish, however you are changing alot of water. To tell you the truth I would cut the water changes to once every 2 weeks.... and get a female endler, just one... and some cherry shrimp.

haha

F

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 2 boys will love to watch the Endler have babies (if lucky enough). I'll pay attention to the water chemistry to adjust the water changes and re-home the fry soon after having them.

How do you suggest I maintain these filters, the mechanical foam, Purigen, water floss and the 2 Bio-Max bags at the top?

With the Purigen, should I just do without the floss?

I hear that the Bio-Max never needs changing but rinsed. And the others should be rinsed until they look like they need replacing. I, of course, will not change more than 1 bag at any one time.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
yea, skip the floss cause it will really slow the water flow down use the bio, purigen and the foam and thats all, watch the parameters and you should be fine... that filter will stir up enough surface area to keep suffecient O2 in the tank.

F

1 - 20 of 29 Posts