The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took in some fish when a good friend took his tank down. So here's what we have in our 50 gal. It may be a 55 gal. not sure. lol

2 Buenos aries tetras
2 rainbowfish
1 golden gourami
2 cories, 1 is an albino
5 neons
1 common pleco
1 otto
1 long fin danio
1 white cloud or bloodfin tetra-not quite sure what he is
1 kuhli loach-brown

We bought the neons and pleco but the rest came from a friend so I had no choice as to what we got but was gratefull for some free fish.

The two buenos aries tetras I can tell aren't happy not being in a school as the pick on each other and one of the rainbowfish. Plus they've been eating my anubias and java fern. Thinking of donating them to the lfs.

The rainbowfish I actually really like and my son really likes the cories and I love the neons and would like to get more of those.

And the rainbowfish aren't happy as well as one really picks on the other and his fins are getting a bit tattered.

Loach comes out every now and then and I know he probably should be in a school too but not real fond of him either. If he needs donated we could donate him too.

Hoping the two smaller danio and what ever the heck that other red fined fish can stay.

So how far over stocked am I and would it be possible to have a school of rainbowfish, cories and neons and the otto, pleco, and two smaller ones in this tank?

And pleco can be donated back to the lfs as well in the future. They liked getting the last pleco we had about 4 years ago that the x husband bought for the 20 gal :( He got to be about 4 in so we donated him.

What do you suggest?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Vote to re-home the common pleco before he own the whole tank.
If you want pleco type critters I'll be happy to send you some LFABN :smile:
Commons just get too big.

Love the striped Kuhli and Gold Dojo's here but the browns are good at cleaning up too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My son really likes the pleco and he knows when he gest to about 4 in he has to be donated back and every time we go to the fish man he wonders if any of those they have that are big is our old pleco.

Are those lfban ones the one in your pleco pan post? My son and I love that post and he often askes me to look for updates on that post. He's 10 and has learned so much from this site.

I would like to ultimately have 2-3 species visible and if it was possible 4. And still don't want to be totally stocked so as not to have to do tons of water changes constantly.

I'm a divorced mom so have to really think things through as to what we want and if we can afford it. We just ordered some endlers for the other 3 tanks from a real nice person here. Was surprised that the priced wasn't what I thought it'd be. :)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Yes it's the ones growing out in the pans.

Do your homework (tank wise) if you have room, and your son will trade his common to the fish man, I'll send you up to 6,,, just because. :smile:
Has to be at least two though, I believe all critters need the company of their own kind.

All I need is a shipping addy provided in a PM.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I need to make a call to the fish man tuesday about donating pleco and those two big tetras at least and maybe that minnow/tetra fish.

Matthew would be nuts about getting the lfbans from you! And I can't tell you how much i'd appreciate it!

Wonder if gettin rid of those two big buenos aries tetras would calm the two rainbowfish down a bit? Almost forgot about the golden gourami. He's the most peaceful fish in the whole tank I think.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what is the over stocking rule now a days if there is one? Does it mainly just depend on the the amount of bio load they produce?

Apparently Golden gourami could get as big as 6 inches YIKES He such a beauty
2 rainbow fish up to 8 inches each and i'd probably be ok letting them go to but they are so colorful.
albino cory 3 in
other cory 4 in
5 neons 2 in each
otto 2 in
long fin danio 2 in
kuhli loach 4 in

Ugh really don't know who else to get rid of off the first list

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That calculator has really helped. Pleco and the two tetras will go to the fish man.

What are your opinions everyone on this calculator. I like that it tells you compatability and water conditions when they conflict and even tells you if you have a pleco that you need to have driftwood for them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just use it as a rough guide for beginner stocking. Basically to be on the safe side.

It doesnt consider all parameters, like a heavily planted tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.