The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon with 12 tiger barbs,1 swordtail,1 clown pleco .could i still add 6 albino corys?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn’t there only one

I don’t actually need to have albinos it’s just a thought I don’t mind any other species

·
Registered
117 Posts
Would not do corydoras with tiger barbs, theyre known fin nippers and will likely target the dorsal fins of the corydoras.

Also, tiger barbs do actually get too large for a 20g, they can get to a pretty good size

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have observed them and they only seem to nip within themselves not nothing the pleco or the swordtail

Would adding more hiding spots help negate this problem

·
Registered
117 Posts
But is it overstocked now?
Given that tiger barbs need much larger, yes it is overstocked now.
Tiger barbs can get 3-4 inches when mature. Plus they're shoaling and semi-aggressive so need space.

And clown plecos though they're a smaller pleco, do poop a lot, so a 20g is already pushing the limits bioload wise.

And a single swordtail. Swordtails can reach 6 inches long, they are also active. They need a minimum of 55 gallons or 4 foot footprint.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Swordtails almost never get to 6 inches; but they are large. I have them in a 29 right now. My 5 year old male is well around 4 inches including the long sword. Having said this I don't disagree that it is heavy stocking. Of course there is an open question if it is a 20 long or 20 high. I think a single swordtail in a 20 long is fine - btw have you ever seen a 6 inch swordtail ?

Given that tiger barbs need much larger, yes it is overstocked now.
Tiger barbs can get 3-4 inches when mature. Plus they're shoaling and semi-aggressive so need space.

And clown plecos though they're a smaller pleco, do poop a lot, so a 20g is already pushing the limits bioload wise.

And a single swordtail. Swordtails can reach 6 inches long, they are also active. They need a minimum of 55 gallons or 4 foot footprint.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Swordtails almost never get to 6 inches; but they are large. I have them in a 29 right now. My 5 year old male is well around 4 inches including the long sword. Having said this I don't disagree that it is heavy stocking. Of course there is an open question if it is a 20 long or 20 high. I think a single swordtail in a 20 long is fine - btw have you ever seen a 6 inch swordtail ?
A few in some of my livebearer groups, not as common with the common species, but still has the potential. But the potential to grow large is there. They're also somewhat social and does like to have a few companions around, so a 20g is really really pushing it either case.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's one giant swordtail. Was it male or female? I've had swordtails (red velvet) off and on for 30 years and they all mostly seem to reach the same size (around 4 inches). Was yours a wild strain ? Mind you in my 29 i have 4 females and 2 males and yes it is a bit on the crowded side as swordtails do prefer more swimming room but I remember when we had a tank in the dorm (20 long) and started with 2 and by the end of the year had over 30.... oddly those 30 were not nearly as crowded as the 6 i currently have but whatever.

A few in some of my livebearer groups, not as common with the common species, but still has the potential. But the potential to grow large is there. They're also somewhat social and does like to have a few companions around, so a 20g is really really pushing it either case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My tank is a 20 long so I actually think it’s ok
My sword tail is only 4 inchs

·
Registered
117 Posts
A 4 inch fish should have more space, one as active as they are, imo.

That's one giant swordtail. Was it male or female? I've had swordtails (red velvet) off and on for 30 years and they all mostly seem to reach the same size (around 4 inches). Was yours a wild strain ? Mind you in my 29 i have 4 females and 2 males and yes it is a bit on the crowded side as swordtails do prefer more swimming room but I remember when we had a tank in the dorm (20 long) and started with 2 and by the end of the year had over 30.... oddly those 30 were not nearly as crowded as the 6 i currently have but whatever.
The ones I've seen that large have been the males with the long finnage, though I've seen some wilds grow massive as well, but chances of this one in this thread being a wild is extremely slim.

Though, have seen some very large bulky females as well, but they stay closer to 4-5 inches. Either way, that's a large fish for a 12" deep tank. It's not just the length of the 20g long, it's the depth too.

Livebearers poop a lot as well, are high bioload given their pooping habits too.

Ive been retiring my livebearers in favour of softer water fish since my tap is soft, but even so, the mollies I've got left are fairly large at 4 inches. Swordtails grow larger than most mollies as well. I wouldn't even put mollies in a 20g long without problems coming up due to their activity level and attitudes in cramped spaces.

I also won't want to repeat that tiger barbs are also added into this tank, who already grow massive as well. My friend has some in his 135 gallon the size of my palm in both length, girth, and height. Theyre very very bulky barbs and have a lot of attitude even amongst themselves.
Keeping long finned fish with them in a confined space is a recipe for trouble.

1, stunting. Stunting is not healthy nor should it be practiced. All of the fish above should have a larger tank for reasons for activity levels, size, attitude, and bioloads. The fish are in a cramped tank for the species they are.

2, confined space with attitudes as the barbs mature, this is not a good mix for the swordtail, the barbs may turn on him/her in the future and cannot defend itself as it is a much more docile fish compared to tiger barbs. Smaller spaces make the territories smaller for these fish, skirmishes can escalate easily and any fish who can't duke it out to the same level doesn't have much hope, which leads to the next point.

3, stress. Even if the fish aren't killed or shredded to oblivion with the confined space, being in close proximity to more aggressive fish without enough space to avoid them is not healthy and will leave the stressed fish more prone to infections where a healthier fish would fight that off.

4, would not add more to this stocked tank, as yes it is over stocked.

My advice would be, if OP wants corydoras, first get the tiger barbs into something larger. A 40 breeder at the very least kept species only, or to a 55 gallon with fish like botia loaches who can handle their own among the barbs.

Leave the swordtail, despite its size, in the 20g and the clown pleco, and do a shoal of corydoras. That's it for the 20g because both the pleco and swordtail already are high bioload and need more space given their larger size. Leave the full footprint of space for the swordtail to have for itself with the cories and pleco.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sword tail is doing fine as I have said many times and not showing any signs of stress and you tend to exaggerate a lot none of my tiger barbs are palm size unless your palm is the size of a toddler

And aggressive is due to too many males so do advise your friend to do more research and add more females(good tank bad mixing)

·
Registered
491 Posts
@NoodleAquatics is correct that as the barbs age they will be a problem; and I would agree that they should be removed esp if you intend to add more fishes. I personally find swordtails not so finicky but that doesn't mean all fishes are not finicky; this is in regards to both aggression and being stunted by a smaller tank. This is both a good thing and a bad thing but regardless to debate over a single swordtail is a bit of a distraction. As to whether you do or don't remove the barbs that is your choice.

The sword tail is doing fine as I have said many times and not showing any signs of stress and you tend to exaggerate a lot none of my tiger barbs are palm size unless your palm is the size of a toddler

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@NoodleAquatics is correct that as the barbs age they will be a problem; and I would agree that they should be removed esp if you intend to add more fishes. I personally find swordtails not so finicky but that doesn't mean all fishes are not finicky; this is in regards to both aggression and being stunted by a smaller tank. This is both a good thing and a bad thing but regardless to debate over a single swordtail is a bit of a distraction. As to whether you do or don't remove the barbs that is your choice.
I agree one swordtail would be fine and I have removed any plans for more fish

·
Registered
305 Posts
With the bioload from the pleco and swordtail, the barbs are pretty much maxing the tank. Adding a school of cories is just going to be bad for them. Eventually your barbs will get bigger and start beating up anything slower and smaller than they are (in a tank that size).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With the bioload from the pleco and swordtail, the barbs are pretty much maxing the tank. Adding a school of cories is just going to be bad for them. Eventually your barbs will get bigger and start beating up anything slower and smaller than they are (in a tank that size).
Like I said removed any plans for fish ,please read all the post thank you very much

1 - 20 of 24 Posts