The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

i have a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft (15 US gallon) low tech heavily planted tank. currently, i have 6 Rummynose tetra's, 1 Otto, 3 Cory cats, and 1 crowntail betta. I am planning on giving away the 3 cory cats and adding 5 more otto's and 2 more rummmy's. i might also get maybe 6 neon tetra's

My goal: 8 rummy's, 6 otto's, 6 neon's, 1 betta, 3 cherry shrimps, 3 ghost snails.

Do you think i will be overstocked? perhaps i can add more?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
142 Posts
That seems a bit crowded to me, both in terms of visual appeal and bioload. I would go with either the rummies OR the neons, and maybe bump the total the the school to 9 or 11. (Odd numbers seem more appealing to me for some reason.) Just my opinion.

Julia

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Too many otos, a 15 gal will at the most support 2 to 3 otos. Forget the neons and keep everything else that you have. It is a great set up for a 15 gal planted tank.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Tank seems a bit small for rummynose - they are very active and do get to a pretty decent size.

At any rate, there are many variables to stocking and to tell you what is best for you without more info would be blind guessing. How much experience you have, how you maintain the tank, equipment you run, how much decor vs water there is, all play a part. If it were me I would do a school of 8 or so small fish like the neons, a few ottos, the betta, and the inverts. But then, I like a well decorated tank with more moderate stocking. Also betta's do like space and not the best candidate for a crowded setup. anyway, just keep in mind the less experience you have the more of a favor you would be doing for yourself and your fish by not cramming the tank with an overabundance of livestock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone for the input. Very informative. I assume that it will be overstocked. is the tank too small for rummynose group of 9? currently, there is a lot of space for everyone.

tweaked it a bit and decided to go with
6 rummies, 1 betta, 2 otto's, 10 shrimps and 3 snails. is that ok? Do you suggest to switch rummies to something else? if i switch to neon's will my betta whack them? i just love the way rummies school. they school better since I've added the betta. he is no threat however.

·
Registered
815 Posts
thanks everyone for the input. Very informative. I assume that it will be overstocked. is the tank too small for rummynose group of 9? currently, there is a lot of space for everyone.

tweaked it a bit and decided to go with
6 rummies, 1 betta, 2 otto's, 10 shrimps and 3 snails. is that ok? Do you suggest to switch rummies to something else? if i switch to neon's will my betta whack them? i just love the way rummies school. they school better since I've added the betta. he is no threat however.
I think you will be okay with 8-9 rummy noses. Do you really want the betta?

Depending on your filter,I would do:

8-9 rummy noses
6-7 cardinal/neon tetras
10 shrimps
3 snails

With the snails and shrimp, they will clean your glass. Otos are notoriously hard to keep, and it will compete with your snails and shrimp for algae. Otos also do not readily eat algae wafers, so you most likely need to feed then blanched vegetables, which can be a hassle when you do not have time. All the otos I've tried to keep(bought them from good shops) always die out on me. Now, I have shrimp and 3 nerite snails that keep my tank free of any algae, garbage, besides some diatoms.

My 17 gallon stocking is:
8 golden pencilfish (four of them are 2 inch adults)
7 cardinal tetras
7 celestial pearl danios
8 ember tetras
80+ cherry shrimp
3 nerite snail

My tank is heavily planted with good filtration. They are all very happy and healthy. Cherry shrimp babies are everywhere.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you will be okay with 8-9 rummy noses. Do you really want the betta?

Depending on your filter,I would do:

8-9 rummy noses
6-7 cardinal/neon tetras
10 shrimps
3 snails

With the snails and shrimp, they will clean your glass. Otos are notoriously hard to keep, and it will compete with your snails and shrimp for algae. Otos also do not readily eat algae wafers, so you most likely need to feed then blanched vegetables, which can be a hassle when you do not have time. All the otos I've tried to keep(bought them from good shops) always die out on me. Now, I have shrimp and 3 nerite snails that keep my tank free of any algae, garbage, besides some diatoms.

My 17 gallon stocking is:
8 golden pencilfish (four of them are 2 inch adults)
7 cardinal tetras
7 celestial pearl danios
8 ember tetras
80+ cherry shrimp
3 nerite snail

My tank is heavily planted with good filtration. They are all very happy and healthy. Cherry shrimp babies are everywhere.
firstly thanks for writing. U have baby shrimps!! Im jelous. Wow...it must be fun to watch your tank. they must be happy there. My betta had been peacefully living with other fishes for quite some time now. lucky for me i guess. Suprisingly, my betta dont even bother shrimps. Most of the time he is busy at the surface plucking salvinia molestra's "fruits".You are right about otto's not interested in algae waffers. In fact, none interested. Any idea how to feed them besides blanched vege's? how do get them to eat those waffers..?

heres my new target

7 rummy nose
3 snails
7 cherry shrimps
7 blue neons
1 betta
2 ottos
3 cory cats

tank is heavily planted and surface is fully covered with floaters with good filtration. The thing is, My tank is low tech and i would like to avoid water changes(maybe only once a month). do you think this is possible with the fishes i mentioned above?
Any advice is highly appreciated.
thank you for viewing and have a nice day.
p/s: how do you feed your shrimps?

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
You dont really need to feed shrimps, they will just scavenge left over fish food, plant matter, bio film and even dead fish.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'll tell you what I was told when I was considering fauna...

Rummy Nose were considered too large for 20G (24" long). They get to be over an 1" nearly 2" which I was told would be too cramped for them to swim freely.

I think that was sage advice. The smaller Harlequin Rasboras I settled on work perfectly as there's enough room for them to school nicely.

If you're intent on keeping the Rummy Nose, I think you have to ditch the Neons otherwise you'll have a less attractive symptom of overcrowding...your fish will just sit in one spot...especially, I would say, the neons.

I would cut the cory cats and the neons. With the heavy planting, I even think there's not enough open room for fish like Rummy nose that are more accustomed to open space. Either way, I'd use just one of the two schooling fish, not both.

Even though your plants mitigate the high bioload, I'm not sure if you have enough open space to happily house the fish you listed.

The shrimp is a good idea though, they'll help clean the bottom.

·
Registered
142 Posts
....tweaked it a bit and decided to go with
My betta never bothers my school of neons. In fact he has been a perfect gentleman with all the other fish in the tank (neons, otos, kribs, lace gouramis, pleco).

It may be that the personality of bettas vary, but none I've had have shown aggression except to other bettas.

Julia

·
Registered
703 Posts
The largest rummies I've seen were over 2", and just constantly swam back and forth across their 55 gallon, which is why I think they really need more space. I'm a big fan of rasbora's myself - tougher yet friendlier then tetras on the whole. I have also had no issues with male betta in community setups.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've never had a problem with a single betta in a community tank, but I've seen posts by others saying that their betta will attack anything and everything in site. I say keep him but have a back-up home for him if something goes astray.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree with the Beta warnings...they can be quite aggressive!

Fred echoed pretty much what I said.

I would change the list to include some small rasbora species...one of the following

Harlequin (the biggest rasbora I'd go with - no neons though)

Chili Rasbora (they are a micro species and would go great with this tank size...you could even keep 5-6 neons this way)

Espei Rasbora (no neons as well)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts