The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

To be upfront, I keep up with water changes and filter maintenance. However I'm not good at scaping and the tank has become overgrown with a snail infestation(my fault for not catching it sooner), and my Panda Cories bred and went from 5 to at least 20 in this 20 gallon long.

The only good thing going for it is that the water chemistry remains stable.

I'm afraid I'll never get rid of the snails and that the Cories will keep breeding. What's the best thing to do in this situation? Do I tear it down and start over? Is there such a thing as an aquascaping service that would rebuild the tank?
Water Rectangle Pet supply Plant Vegetation

Equipment

20 gallon long
Fluval 107 canister filter (using purigen and matrix along with the default stuff)
Finnex 24/7 planted+
Dosing seachem ferts with excel according to their guide (no CO2)

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Water looks kind of cloudy. How much and how frequently are you feeding? Looks like there's a ton of detritus piling up. When there's an overabundant supply of food, that's when snail populations expand. Keep feeding and maintenance in check and they won't explode in numbers. (Snails are beneficial for your tank)

That aside - it looks like you just need some regular maintenance, a stable feeding regimen and some trimming.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! There is a spot there below the feeding ring. It’s hard to determine how much to feed that many cories. I feed twice a day, 2 large pinches of flakes. Time for a gravel vac.

The water is actually seems clear(to my untrained eye), I can see straight to the bottom as well.
Plant Terrestrial plant Natural material Groundcover Grass
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Grass Food

·
Registered
531 Posts
Trim your plants, feed less, add an assassin snail if you really don't want any snails. What you've got there is a vibrant planted tank ecosystem. I've never gotten anything but apistos and livebearers to breed, it seems like you're doing a great job.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Basically what @somewhatshocked said. Vacuum the substrate every once in a while, and cut down on your feedings (either feed only once a day, or reduce the amount of food you put in when you feed). When you do that, your snail population will drop. If you want to speed up the process of lowering your snail population, buy some assassin snails and let them go to work.

As far as the cories, catch some of them and sell them to other hobbyists or fish stores. You can also just donate them to the stores.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would keep the tank as long the cory cats are happy with them. You can always buy some yo-yo loaches to control the snails. All those clumps of plants are where cory cats like to lay their eggs. I had success breeding sterbai and panda with almost similar set up.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
408 Posts
Lighten up on the feeding and trim. The trimming is so you can see what parts of the plants are not doing well and remove those sections. Those are areas that the snails will eat at adding to their food but not the fish's food supply. Also, look into shrimp, amanos are your best bet because amanos cannot breed in fresh water, they will try but end up leaving larvae for your fish to eat. Anyway, they won't multiply, will help keep the plants clean and will take out a good chuck of the snail's food sources and eventually the snails will die back.

·
Registered
497 Posts
DO NOT PUT yoyo in a 20 long. They are way too big. However you could try zebra loach or dwarf loaches. dwarf loaches are a better fit for a 20 long and they might go after the cory frys. The zebra loach at nearly 4 inches are 1/2 the size of a yoyo (and quite a bit less mass) but extremely docile. Remember loaches really do require a group of 5 or more... the more the better.

I would keep the tank as long the cory cats are happy with them. You can always buy some yo-yo loaches to control the snails. All those clumps of plants are where cory cats like to lay their eggs. I had success breeding sterbai and panda with almost similar set up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wish I had your problem with cories breeding prolifically.
I like the jungle look, and as others said, some judicious pruning is a good idea, but I would not tear it down by any means.
Also, as everyone else said, feed less.
That is the best way to control snail overpopulation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Honestly. It just looks like a healthy tank that needs a bit of maintenance. Maybe take a period to think about it. It's actually quite nice looking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts