The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I noticed during leak testing this week that there is a bit of strangeness going on with trying to tune my overflow. The tank in question in s a 20 gallon long with a 10 gallon sumped powered by a Jebao DCP 2500 pump. The overflow box is an Eshopps eclipse S plumbed in a standard Herbie configuration with 1 inch PVC main and emergency drains. At low pump power (<40%) everything is fine, the overflow is very quiet and the water level in it is consistent. However, at higher pump levels (>40%) I am having issues with the inconsistent water levels in the overflow box. I am able to use the gate valve on the main drain to dial in the siphon rate so that there is just a trickle into the emergency drain. Everything seems to be good for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour until the water level in the overflow box drops rapidly. If I let it keep running the overflow water level slowly creeps back up over the course of 5 minutes or so and is good for another half hour or so before it water level suddenly drops and the cycle starts over. Throughout this whole cycle, the water in the main display tank seems to be consistent so I am at a loss for what is happening.

I also have noticed a lot of splashing noise from the weir box at higher flow levels and am wondering if people have any suggestions on how to quiet it down

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Have you looked at the display on the pump, if it has one, to see if it changes when the flow does? It takes a bit to dial it in so the splashing is quieted, but I would get the flow issue solved first and the splash may be taken care of.

Reactions: Thenoob

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main drain has no stand pipe and the emergency is a couple of inches. I'm using the one that came included with the overflow.

I have checked the screen and the indicated power doesent seem to drop when the water level drops.

On another forum it was suggested that it was due to my main drain being to far submerged in the sump. Thus, I got a few inches off. I haven't had a change to test it yet as I also painted all the plumbing and am waiting on it to dry

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, i have been running an eshippes pf-1200 HOB overflow on my 75 for 2 years now without a problem with a jebao dcp-6500 running at 55 percent. It has 2 one inch drains and I use them in a herbie configuration. Once I got it tuned it has been dead silent and reliable. I shut my return pump off 2 x daily for feeding and have been thru numerous power outages without issue.

Here are a few observations and suggestions.
1. Get a strainer for your main drain to keep plant leaves out of the gate valve. Something similar to the Lifeguard Aquatics 1" slip strainer. The strainer also quiets pump startup until you hit full siphon. Once you are planted make sure you clear strainer every couple of days, but if it clogs too much the emergency drain will take over and just make noise.

2. You may have to play with the height of the emergency standpipe a bit to get dialed in. The orange one that comes with the overflow is a good starting point but you may have to go an inch higher or lower. In my setup this was critical to getting everything tuned, i played with differing heights in 1/2 inch increments.

3. Both your drains should end about 1 inch under the running height surface of the water in the sump.

4. As your system evaporates, and your return chamber lowers, you may have to tweak the gate valve a tiny bit.

5. To avoid splashing noise from the weir run your system on a return pump setting that allows the water to only drop about 1/2 inch when falling over the overflow weir when everything is dialed in.

Once you are running and tuned, mark your gate valve, the little bit of tweaking you ever need to do will not ever vary much from this mark, unless something is very wrong or you have changed return pump power settings.
Once every 2 days clear your strainer and check the tune of the herbie.
My setup runs dead silent once dialed in...my air pump is louder. If i hear overflow noise its because of a problem that needs attention. I.e clogged strainer, system evapiration etc.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I use the built in overflow on my 75 and a Marine Depot branded through the back overflow on my 40. It is similar to the Eshopps. I did not use the red/orange pipe, rather I used pvc. I used pvc to make a main drain also with a prefilter sponge on it. Very similar setup on my 75. I rubber banded a media bag on the emergency drain outlet in the sump to help quiet it and to catch the occasional snail or Platy fry...lol The main is just under the water line. Here are some pics of the 40's setup.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks, everyone! Lots of amazing information here which I really appreciate!

Since I am planning on keeping neo shrimp a strainer or prefilter will be pretty important. One simple method I did some testing on during leaking testing was a chunk of 10 ppi poret placed flush against the main drain.

It seemed to run fine and didn't cuase any issues other then the cylclic water level thing which occured with or without the sponge.

I do also plan on playing with the emergency drian riser height. Unfortuantley, I don't think I can go any taller since the water level in the overflow box gets dangerously high if I close the main drain off (simulating a clog). I think this happens since the emeregency drain is sucking air in vortex from the surface which prevents it from acheiving full siphon. This really is unfortuante since I think running with a higher water level in the overflow would greatly reduce the spalshing noise from water falling into the weir box. Granted, this was with the pump running flat out which seems like an unlikely scenario for real use since the pump is rated for 660 gph and the tank is only 20 gallons. Even with pipe and head losses that is a ton of flow for a small tank. Picture of what I am refering to below.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
To get rid of the splashing in the weir you have to get the outflow from the overflow and the pump output tuned in. The water needs to be at the same level in the weir, overflow box, and the tank. You just have to play with the valve and the pump till you get there. I had to use the pvc in the overflow to help slow down the flow. I am still pushing about 400 gph. On the emergency I used a screw together pvc config to be able to raise or lower the level of that drain. Mine has a small vortex, but I got it that close and let it ride. I tried using a piece of foam across the opening and after about a day it had cogged just enough to raise the water level in the tank. That's why I go with the prefilter sponge on a piece of pvc.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I've been watching and the source of the problem is pump surging (or slight losses in power). I tuned it to have heavy flow down the emergency drain then lurked about to observe it. Water goes from heavy flow down emergency to none at all and slight drop in overflow box water height then back to heavy flow down emergency again. I can also see it in the amount of water coming through the weir teeth. This pattern while seemingly random does occur no matter how long I've allowed things to purge.

Outside of my return window on the pump so all-around unfortunate day.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Did you get the pump from Amazon? They will take returns after the return period. If not contact Jebao and they may help you. I have had good luck with them. Their pumps have a good warranty.

Reactions: Thenoob

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get the pump from Amazon? They will take returns after the return period. If not contact Jebao and they may help you. I have had good luck with them. Their pumps have a good warranty.
Thank you for the tip! The pump was purchased through amazon. I already had to reach out to the seller to get the o-rings I was missing so they are probably sick of me but I will give it a shop.

Unfortunately doing a pump switch may take a bit of work since it seemed the issue was resolved so I bought plants. So the tank is planted now. When it comes time for the pump switch I will just have to run the tank off a HOB filter and needle wheel powerhead for CO2. I'm going to put the HOB media in my sump in preparation for this. Luckily I will not have fish for a while since it will probably delay getting the sump cycled.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Shouldn't take 10 mins or so to switch pumps, but of course you know your setup better than me :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shouldn't take 10 mins or so to switch pumps, but of course you know your setup better than me :)
Oh yeah the switch it self is quick, a just one union. I'm was more so referring to if I have to send the old pump back causing me to be pump free for a while.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Oh ok. That's why I use silicone tubing for any return plumbing I have. If/when needed I can just put a pump I have in and continue till I get a replacement for the failed pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts