The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm considering buying a tank from someone and I'm only partially through learning about sump design, so I'd appreciate some help deciding if this is going to work.

The tank is 48x24x17, about 85 gallons. It is comes drilled with a single bulkhead and an internal weir/overflow. I am guessing by the bracing and overflow design it's from glasscages.com. Even if it's not, it looks like a customized version of the horizotnal overflow (figure 7) here. It comes with some kind of external overflow box, but it's never been set up and I want to replace it with something that can accommodate a bean animal overflow. I think I can get Modular Marine to do a custom box for this, but my question is how big does the bulkhead need to be to accommodate this kind of set up?

I realize the hole is already drilled, so it is whatever size it is (the seller thinks it's 2"), but it was created with a different sump in mind and I don't have a good feel for how much flexibility there is. FWIW, the included bulkhead not attached, so I can change the fitting if I need to, but I don't know what the considerations are there either.

Edited to add: price of the tank is good and it comes with a pump and "accessories". I haven't asked the seller too much about them because it doesn't matter - I'd pay for the tank alone and anything else I can use is bonus. Everything is brand new and still in the packaging.

·
Registered
814 Posts
This seems to me to be the kind of overflow that would have an external box that would have the bean animal setup in it. Something like this, though this one is et up for a Herbie. A 2 inch hole corresponds to a 1.25" bulkhead.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems to me to be the kind of overflow that would have an external box that would have the bean animal setup in it. Something like this, though this one is et up for a Herbie. A 2 inch hole corresponds to a 1.25" bulkhead.
It has an external box, not yet installed, but I can see from the listing picture the box only has a hole for one drain pipe. This is why I was hoping to replace the box. (Worst comes to worst I can take out the internal overflow and drill another bulkhead, but I really don't want to.)

Thank you for the 2" hole > 1.25" bulkhead conversion. That's exactly the sort of detail that I am looking for. I have been working on a conceptual plan of the sump and hadn't quite gotten to nuts and bolts of the plumbing yet, but then this listing came along and suddenly I need some nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So is there a single hole for a bulkhead or 2? If 2 then you can still accomplish a silent design. Also, is the box on the end like pictured? or is it in the center of the back of the tank?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's one horizontal bulkhead and it's on the back wall a bit on the left. It comes with an external box that also has one hole for the drain, but I want to do a bean animal set up, so I need to get a box with three.

My question is if the one horizontal bulkhead is sufficient, and I think it should be if the chart I'm looking at is right.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Is there room for another hole on the external box?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.