The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am playing around with an Amazon "Biotope" in my 10G.

The tank houses 8 Cardinal tetras and an adult BN pleco. Plants include a few species of crypts for now. I am looking to add a few more plants but I have not decided which yet.

I am using RO water, peat, and Amazonia AS. As it stands the water has a light brown tint from the peat, however I am currently soaking quite a bit of peat in water that I will use to considerably darken the tank in the next few days.

kH and gH are both 0, pH is 4.9. TDS hovers around 110.

The cardinals are a new addition but seem to be doing well so far. The BN has been in the tank for several weeks and is doing quite well.

I will post a picture soon.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Glad to hear you found something to do with that 10 gallon.

How do you get your PH so low?! Certainly not that low straight out of the RO unit, right?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the peat lowers your ph also . cardinals do fine at that ph though ? why did you bring it so low ?

Why not ;) As I understand it Cardinals come from the water of the Rio Negro where pH is very low, water is extrememly soft and visibility is exceptionally poor. Of course they will adjust to local water conditions, but since I have the ability to provide near their natural water parameters, I thought why not do it and see how they respond.

James: There are plants, crypts. Not as many as I'd like at the moment but that will change.

·
Registered
705 Posts
most crypts come from Sri-Lanka and surrounding area. im not aware any are found in the amazon. but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yea, you should get native plants/fish/inverts. That would be awesome.
Swords would work(for awhile).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess you guys are right. It's not a true biotope with the crypts... Any swords that stay on the small side? I'm not against emergent growth either. In fact, I would encourage it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I guess you guys are right. It's not a true biotope with the crypts... Any swords that stay on the small side? I'm not against emergent growth either. In fact, I would encourage it.
How small? My oriental is being very slow to get big and is staying a nice size. It's upright and new growth is pink. I got a couple of swords from Charlie Lowcoaster a while back (I'm having one of my "fog" days, but one started with a G (maybe something like Gabrieli) and I think the other start with an H (possibly Harbiche or something)--maybe Charlie will pipe in) and both are staying small in my tanks. They both grow low but wide (but not too wide) and are nice, solid green plants.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i have a red melon sword who is staying very small actually. has SUPER bright colors and is MAYBE half the height of my 20L. this is the 3rd red melon i have had which stayed small. i had 2 others in a 5 gallon way back and they never grew out of the water, they just got SUPER thick.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
most swords grow slow, even amazon swords.
If they get too big, put them in a bigger tank, or sell them.
I think aubias are amazonian too, that would be something to think about.
Now, the important part....pics!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
oh ok, i don't know why i thought that, just seemed right.

·
Registered
362 Posts
try Echinodorus angustifolius... it would be cool in a smaller tank in the background/middle areas.

Cheers, Whitepine

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is one that i can think of ECHINODORUS PARVIFLORUS 'TROPICA', they stay small, grow to about 6-8 inches.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts