The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is my first time having any shrimp. I got about 15 amano shrimp roaming around, or at least I did when I put them in the tank. They are pretty elusive and I usually only see two or three at a time. At this point. I don't know if they're just hiding in the crevices of the tank and there are quite a few, or if they are dying off. At the moment.

My bigger question though, is while I'm trying to figure out how much to feed my fish, will the shrimp be pretty dependable on keeping it clean with wasted food? My ammonia was reading 0.25 last night so I just want to keep in mind what I may have coming one way or another. Thank you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? Always? I found a dead one when I did my water change, and he didn't change colors. I'm sure he was dead too.

·
Banned
85 Posts
If you think the spike is due to overfeeding then you've already proved wrong the theory that the shrimp should take care of it.

Bacteria and continuing with normal water changes will take care of the ammonia but it'll be back if the overfeeding is not addressed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you think the spike is due to overfeeding then you've already proved wrong the theory that the shrimp should take care of it.

Bacteria and continuing with normal water changes will take care of the ammonia but it'll be back if the overfeeding is not addressed.
That's true. I think I'm figuring out the feeding. I also think I want to get some more shrimp.

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
That's true. I think I'm figuring out the feeding. I also think I want to get some more shrimp.
I think it'd be a good idea if you spend some time reading here in the shrimp section before getting more shrimp. Check out the stickies. Read through some Tank Journals. That way you'll be more prepared when you get your next batch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it'd be a good idea if you spend some time reading here in the shrimp section before getting more shrimp. Check out the stickies. Read through some Tank Journals. That way you'll be more prepared when you get your next batch.
I agree, and I will. Is there any reason in particular you are suggesting that though, based off this discussion....

·
Banned
85 Posts
Is there any reason in particular you are suggesting that though
This is because your post implies that you were banking on amano shrimp to consume your fishes leftovers/not providing food specific for them. It is a common enough mistake. We do not know the specifics of your feeding regime but, we know amano shrimp subsist primarily off of biofilm, decaying vegetation and algae. What is in your fish food?

You also described having an unexplained ammonia spike while simultaneously voicing concern regarding disappearing shrimp but, you did not seem to link the two. If the food becomes ammonia then there was too much of it.

The other thing that @EmotionalFescue brought up about the shrimp behavior at feeding time. I wanted to second this. My hungry amano will literally attack food. They can smell that food in the water column incredibly fast; if your shrimp are healthy and hungry they will come running. Some of my amano will pounce on my scarlet badis during feeding if they're not paying attention.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is because your post implies that you were banking on amano shrimp to consume your fishes leftovers/not providing food specific for them. It is a common enough mistake. We do not know the specifics of your feeding regime but, we know amano shrimp subsist primarily off of biofilm, decaying vegetation and algae. What is in your fish food?

You also described having an unexplained ammonia spike while simultaneously voicing concern regarding disappearing shrimp but, you did not seem to link the two. If the food becomes ammonia then there was too much of it.

The other thing that @EmotionalFescue brought up about the shrimp behavior at feeding time. I wanted to second this. My hungry amano will literally attack food. They can smell that food in the water column incredibly fast; if your shrimp are healthy and hungry they will come running. Some of my amano will pounce on my scarlet badis during feeding if they're not paying attention.
That makes sense. I feed fish flakes, and an algae wafer from time to time. Also drop in pellets from time to time for bottom feeders. I also have a ton of vegetation that is dying off. I think I have the feeding amount under control now. I suppose the shrimp just arent hungry because they have had so much bio film, algae, and vegetation available to them. Ill be interested to see how their behavior changes during feeding time as it becomes unavailable. Thank you for your input.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I saw your pictures in the other thread and I'm not surprised you don't see all of those shrimp all the time. Looks very nice and hidey.

I also noticed you were on another thread about the macro/micro situation and how flourish/flourish trace was missing some stuff.
I also have a ton of vegetation that is dying off.
This melt could be related to the missing macros. I would expect to see some turn around (assuming you've got the macros now) in the next week or two if lighting and co2 are good and maintenance is kept constant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw your pictures in the other thread and I'm not surprised you don't see all of those shrimp all the time. Looks very nice and hidey.

I also noticed you were on another thread about the macro/micro situation and how flourish/flourish trace was missing some stuff.

This melt could be related to the missing macros. I would expect to see some turn around (assuming you've got the macros now) in the next week or two if lighting and co2 are good and maintenance is kept constant.
Thank you for that. I have all in 1 fertilizer in transit right now.

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
I agree, and I will. Is there any reason in particular you are suggesting that though, based off this discussion....
Yep. I even explained it in that post:

somewhatshocked said:
That way you'll be more prepared when you get your next batch.
So you'll literally be more prepared for your next batch of shrimp.

But a longer answer: The questions you've asked are typical of most beginners in the hobby and I didn't want to be insulting. Not having a strong grasp on shrimp feeding is the tell tale sign that someone hasn't done much reading about shrimping, unfortunately. My rule of thumb: Feed only what your shrimp can finish in about an hour. Feed them once every 2-3 days. Expecting them to be cleanup crew means they're going to suffer and (almost always) disappear. Having an ammonia reading in a tank with shrimp and not fully understanding why/being able to determine why is another reason I recommended you put in the effort to read more than you already have. It's not an insult or anything negative. Being more informed will make the hobby more enjoyable for you.

On top of that, the resources I recommended are right at your fingertips here on the forum. And they're legitimately interesting and helpful - especially Tank Journals. It's my absolute favorite section of the forum, as it's filled with millions of photographs. I've been here about 20 years (half that as a moderator) and still spend an hour or so in that section every day. Blows my mind what people are able to accomplish in this hobby.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep. I even explained it in that post:

So you'll literally be more prepared for your next batch of shrimp.

But a longer answer: The questions you've asked are typical of most beginners in the hobby and I didn't want to be insulting. Not having a strong grasp on shrimp feeding is the tell tale sign that someone hasn't done much reading about shrimping, unfortunately. My rule of thumb: Feed only what your shrimp can finish in about an hour. Feed them once every 2-3 days. Expecting them to be cleanup crew means they're going to suffer and (almost always) disappear. Having an ammonia reading in a tank with shrimp and not fully understanding why/being able to determine why is another reason I recommended you put in the effort to read more than you already have. It's not an insult or anything negative. Being more informed will make the hobby more enjoyable for you.

On top of that, the resources I recommended are right at your fingertips here on the forum. And they're legitimately interesting and helpful - especially Tank Journals. It's my absolute favorite section of the forum, as it's filled with millions of photographs. I've been here about 20 years (half that as a moderator) and still spend an hour or so in that section every day. Blows my mind what people are able to accomplish in this hobby.
You are absolutely correct. I didn't think you were being rude or anything, I was curious if there was anything specifically that made you say that. But I hear you loud and clear. I read through the stickys on the shrimp forum and honestly I finished it with more questions than when I began. Honestly, I bought my tank, livestock, and all equipment used. He had it running successfully and I didnt think much of it. I wasnt really prepared but couldnt pass the deal. Now Im learning, and much quicker than anticipated. I enjoy the journals too. A bit overwhelming to a beginner, but there is so much to learn and so much to be inspired by.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts