The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it going to cause any problem if I overdose the Seachem excel? I did se research that people overdosing for killing algae. I am dealing with some algae problem right now so this is why I wanna know.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Seachem recommends a 5X dosage to start with, so you can be pretty sure than most plants and fish won't be harmed by using that much. Vals and some other plants will die back when you go that high.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The initial dose of 5x is only after a large water change. You can dose 2-3x safely to kill algae. If you dose 5X on a normal basis, you may suffocate your livestock. Seachem addresses this in their FAQ, and it's a pretty common topic. A google search will do wonders.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The initial dose of 5x is only after a large water change. You can dose 2-3x safely to kill algae. If you dose 5X on a normal basis, you may suffocate your livestock. Seachem addresses this in their FAQ, and it's a pretty common topic. A google search will do wonders.
There is no good reason to ever dose 5 ml per 10 gallons, even though Seachem recommends it. Excel breaks down in the aquarium within about a day anyway, so you might as well just dose your regular daily dosage from day one. Doing the Seachem recommended first day dosage is a pretty sure way to destroy your vals, and other sensitive plants, without gaining anything by doing so.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When I was dealing with algae, I did the initial 5x dose after a 50% water change, then 2x dose for 9 days after for a total of 10 days. Then did another 50% water change and dosed the normal 1x dosage. In addition to physically removing leaves with really bad algae, I've manged to control the algae by raising up my light fixture 2 inches and having a 3hr on, 5 hr off, 4 hr on photoperiod. Fish and inverts and plants are all good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.