Now that I have all the parts, it's time to start putting this scape together. I really like nano tanks, and the scapes you can make with them. I wanted to try and apply the things I have learned to a larger tank. So out of that idea, Outlaw-Scape 35 was born! I'll take nano type plants and animals and see how they do in a larger scape.
Stand: DIY ADA'ish style
Tank: Mr. Aqua 63x45x45 cm (35 gallon)
Lighting: Aquaticlife 96w 24" fixture with 2x6500k and 2x10000k bulbs. Lighting period not yet decided.
Filtration: Eheim 2217
Co2: 5lb tank, GLA regulator with DIY inline reactor
Temp. Control: Inline Hydor 200w heater
Ferts: Modified EI method, 3x weekly.
Water Changes: 15 gallons (50%) per week RODI
Additional Water Movement: Probably a Koralia Nano
Looking good, maybe slope the gravel a little higher towards the back. I would agree with some other stem plant to go with your flora selection to add variety to the broad-leaf/moss selection you already have. You can never go wrong with CPDs in my book and Corydoras Pygmaeus. I wouldn't be too concerned with blue rams with the smaller fish as I would be with the shrimp. Otherwise looks promising can't wait to see more.
Spent all day working on getting the tank up and running yesterday. I will likely change the layout some. That stump on the right looks too straight. It needs to lean over. But that will have to wait a few days since the other piece is being held down by rocks. I forgot to soak it first.
My plan is to have a little meadow'ish area of HC around the front-right, sort of framed by the wood. We'll see how it works out. The thing I like about this tank way more than my previous bowfront is 1) it's not a bowfront and 2) I can get to everything way easier. Rescaping, planting, adding/removing animals is so much easier.
Since I had a mature filter and used some water from the old tank, I tossed some RCS in there. They looked ok this morning, and if they're still kicking tonight I'll add the rest of the fauna and start the complete teardown of the old tank.
On this tank I have an Eheim 2217 running. In the last tank, I was using the same filter but with the spray bar, which seemed to generate adequate and wide-spread enough flow. Now I'm using (and would like to keep) lily pipes. I checked the CO2 today and my drop checker never came up off blue. Uh oh!
It seems like the lily pipe outflow is really linear. Everything directly in front of it seems to get nice flow, but everything surrounding it, and behind it gets very little. One way or another, I think circulation needs some help.
Going to add a Koralia Nano powerhead and see if it helps.
A few pictures to compare growth between the last update and now. Things seem pretty happy. I can see the very slight beginnings of BBA which I always seem to get, but it's pretty easily controlled as long as the CO2 stays high and ferts are good.
The DW is taking forever to stay put. Rocks still holding it down and until it's ready I won't move anything else around.