The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was out walking the train tracks collecting rocks. Cop stopped by and suggested I end my collecting as I was trespassing!:surprise:

Luckily, had enough rocks! Here is the results....I don't like the right. It doesn't form a triangle with the left. Gotta work on it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I lived about 45 yards from a train track for around 15 years. Train tracks are incredibly filthy even if the rocks were recently put there and by the bank and not by the ties. It's about what's in the train cars getting scattered all over the tracks and rocks. Also, train tracks belong to the railroad department so yes you were trespassing (i didn't see anything though :) ) and it never stopped me either lol. I highly suggest boiling, washing, doing whatever you can to thouroughly clean the rocks.

Anyways, the left side looks good. I'd try to slightly mirror that design on the right but half the size. It would make a nice little "path" appearance and give a better scale to the tank. Or put it together with the left side and strecht it across the back wall some more, maybe build up the substrate some more in the back to create a little more depth. Looking good so far though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1) On top of whatever nastiness comes from the trains directly, RR company's spray their tracks with herbisides on a fairly regular basis. I'm going to say those rocks are probably very bad for a tank, but you never know.
2) I say this for everyones safety, I'm not trying to be 'preachy.' Walking on and around tracks is refered to as 'fouling the tracks' if I remember right being 4 feet from tracks is still considered fouling it. Most if not all rail roads are owned by private companies making it their private property. Please remember that some 400 people die a year from fouling the tracks. While placing a penny on the track won't derail it, accadentily kicking a rock up on the track could potentially be 'the straw that beaks the camel's back' and cause a train derailment. This is extremely unlikely, but a tiny risk still exists. Technically it is trespassing and the company could press charges, but if you do walk the tracks please be extremely careful!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Anyways, the left side looks good. I'd try to slightly mirror that design on the right but half the size. It would make a nice little "path" appearance and give a better scale to the tank. Or put it together with the left side and strecht it across the back wall some more, maybe build up the substrate some more in the back to create a little more depth. Looking good so far though.
Ya I thought about joining them and stretching it across the tank more. I think I may try that. It will help lead the eye across the tank.
It will also give me the open space I want.
Definitely need to build up the sand more as well.

My plan is Angelfish and sterbi corys.

the rocks are good folks, and no one was harmed in the gathering of these rocks! :wink2:

went with the less is more. And after sitting on it overnight, decided one of the problems was the big pile in back left was the main focal point and your eye never moved from it.

so reduced the rock pile and got better movement left to right. I like this better BUT I think I need one KILLER rock behind the tip of the right hand branch.
That way your eye will start with the tangle then move across the lowest branch to the killer rock. Now I just have to find it.
AND I know where it is! LOLO...NOT on the train tracks!!

ps. it also has to look good from the end, which is the kitchen view.

Bump: kitchen view

·
Registered
475 Posts
On a similar topic, I am astounded at what driftwood retails for. I live 5 minutes from Lake MI and have contemplated collecting pieces to sell on eBay.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
On a similar topic, I am astounded at what driftwood retails for. I live 5 minutes from Lake MI and have contemplated collecting pieces to sell on eBay.
Ya I got a big pucker factor when I went to the LFS and looked for wood!

But I scored a nice piece off Craig's List and then I ponied up $27 on Ebay for the rest. Real spiderwood is nice, its very dense and sinks fast.

But before that, I was STRONGLY contemplating going out in the woods and getting some ironwood branches to use. There are a couple really nice gnarly ones by my bow stand that I was eyeing up all fall!

Here is the end view from the kitchen hallway

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I think you need more height.

I say this for everyones safety, I'm not trying to be 'preachy.' Walking on and around tracks is refered to as 'fouling the tracks' if I remember right being 4 feet from tracks is still considered fouling it. Most if not all rail roads are owned by private companies making it their private property. Please remember that some 400 people die a year from fouling the tracks. While placing a penny on the track won't derail it, accadentily kicking a rock up on the track could potentially be 'the straw that beaks the camel's back' and cause a train derailment. This is extremely unlikely, but a tiny risk still exists. Technically it is trespassing and the company could press charges, but if you do walk the tracks please be extremely careful!
So it would be illegal for a man to walk to his neighbor's house if a railway was between them? That makes no sense to me. Do rail companies really just go to a random bit of land, buy a strip 10' wide by however long and leave the rest public? I understand they don't want anyone to get hit, but wouldn't most people hear or see a train in enough time to get away?

Just curious, don't mean to derail the thread. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you need more height.

So it would be illegal for a man to walk to his neighbor's house if a railway was between them? That makes no sense to me. Do rail companies really just go to a random bit of land, buy a strip 10' wide by however long and leave the rest public? I understand they don't want anyone to get hit, but wouldn't most people hear or see a train in enough time to get away?

Just curious, don't mean to derail the thread. :hihi:
I think I will get more height on the right side with my King rock when I find it. Or, I may have to raise the left hill a little more..

train tracks...ya if you are not smart enough to avoid being hit you should not be out there! LOL...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just about every person who gets run over by a train each year, thought they were smart enough to be around the tracks.

It happens way too often here. So common it won't even make the news.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Those tracks have been there for several, several decades and the property has since been sold around it and yes once the man stepped foot on railroad property, it would be illegal trespassing. Trains are harmless unless you really are a complete moron. I've been around active tracks most my life, they bordered my property and I used it as a shortcut to town daily for almost 15 years. TONS of natural inspiration walking along the railroad.

I also suggest more height to the scape. With all of the rocks you have it should be pretty easy to build up more subrtate. I personally liked the left side before you cut it down some. The height was nice. Keep at it. I've found scaping to be the most challenging yet rewarding step.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just about every person who gets run over by a train each year, thought they were smart enough to be around the tracks.

It happens way too often here. So common it won't even make the news.
I've heard you have VERY VERY sneaky trains over there!:wink2:

Bump:
Those tracks have been there for several, several decades and the property has since been sold around it and yes once the man stepped foot on railroad property, it would be illegal trespassing. Trains are harmless unless you really are a complete moron. I've been around active tracks most my life, they bordered my property and I used it as a shortcut to town daily for almost 15 years. TONS of natural inspiration walking along the railroad.

I also suggest more height to the scape. With all of the rocks you have it should be pretty easy to build up more subrtate. I personally liked the left side before you cut it down some. The height was nice. Keep at it. I've found scaping to be the most challenging yet rewarding step.
I use to hop freights in college!:surprise:
Buddy and I went from Mn to Seattle! What a trip! lol.
Left with $40 in my pocket, climbed Mt. Rainer and came home with $13 left!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.