Grand Forks, ND-
PH- 9.4
TDS- 182
GH- 3-4
Kh- 3

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania... Ph-7.4, gh-3, kh-4, phosphates-2, nitrates-20....

Wow y'all, I'm not alone in the way to soft, pH immovable, high tds city water crowd. And as much lead as flint Michigan I've heard. What do you guys do to combat this? Great thread here. Sorry if it's off topic. Just never saw numbers so similar to what I struggle with.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Convic with convics - had pretty much the same thought "wow, I'm not alone" Just love my concrete water full of farm runoff

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Water companies add chemicals to keep the pH well above 7 in the plumbing. Flint ran into their problems when the water company didn't do that. Low pH water dissolves lead and copper - very slowly, but enough to give you a high content of those metals in the water. The chemicals they add can vary, but I believe lye is one that is commonly used. A pH of 9.4 makes me think they are overdoing the chemical addition, by quite a bit!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I get water from the Contra Costa Water District. I have included test results from some friends' taps, too.
Water is from the Delta, mostly snow melt, but passes through the Sacramento Valley- LOTS of agriculture.

I do not test very often, but over the years it has been just about the same every time I test.

TDS = 280-300
NO3 = 0 ppm
NO2 = 0 ppm
GH and KH 4-5 German degrees of hardness
pH is usually in the upper 7s, I have measured it into the low 8s. This is from sodium hydroxide (I called the water company and asked).
Chloramine makes it test 1 ppm each chlorine and ammonia. I usually cannot smell the chlorine- used to be it smelled like a swimming pool (when they were using chlorine).
In late summer/fall, before the rains start, the water from the bay creeps up into the area where one of the intake pipes are, and I sometimes think I can taste salt. Maybe I am just imagining it.

City of Martinez buys water from Contra Costa Water District, and does something to it. A friend has tested the pH as 9, once, and often in the mid 8s. All other parameters the same.

Brentwood (farming community farther east of me), well.
GH and KH- I got tired of adding drops at 20, so GH and KH are very high.
NO3 20 ppm (farm run off, or seeping into the water table)

East Bay Municipal Utility District gets its water from the Sierras (granite rock) and has very soft water. GH and KH about 1 degree.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Water companies add chemicals to keep the pH well above 7 in the plumbing. Flint ran into their problems when the water company didn't do that. Low pH water dissolves lead and copper - very slowly, but enough to give you a high content of those metals in the water. The chemicals they add can vary, but I believe lye is one that is commonly used. A pH of 9.4 makes me think they are overdoing the chemical addition, by quite a bit!
They also add a phosphate compound that forms a protective layer on metal pipes preventing it from corrosion.

Bump:
Scary. So Glad I am on country well water!!
Aren't there issues with ground water as well?

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Amazed at the variety of readings listed. Was worried my 197 tds tap was way too high - guess not. Kinda shocked at some of the various pH readings and KH readings. Starting to understand the importance of SLOWLY letting new fish adjust to "your" water if you are getting the fish from outside the local area. Thank you OP for starting this thread!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Depending on the size of the water district you are on this information can be had from your water district office, except if you live in Flint, then you can't believe it any way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.