The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Power filter's getting noisy, likely because I haven't done anything for the poor impeller shaft in 2 years...

Is there anything else I could use? Grapeseed, olive or other vegetable oils, butter, WD-40, etc?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way of getting myself there, I've gotta be someplace shortly (rules out walking), and I'd rather use a natural oil than petro jelly that's from a factory in my tanks. It'd be nice to find an less-icky alternative.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
all of the oils you mentioned except wd40 go rancid in time, and are not thick enough to actually stick where you need it to. There all organic except the wd40.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting to know. I've never had any vegetable oil go rancid (there's some sitting at a relative's house that's gotta be turning ten). Engine oil is likely out of the question. Could hunt in the garage for some synthetic belt oil or something. Or... Shortening?

Gah. I'll just run to some gaudy supermarket when I've got nothing to do.

Thanks to you all, Overstocked, Alyssa and jriech!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Interesting to know. I've never had any vegetable oil go rancid (there's some sitting at a relative's house that's gotta be turning ten). Engine oil is likely out of the question. Could hunt in the garage for some synthetic belt oil or something. Or... Shortening?

Gah. I'll just run to some gaudy supermarket when I've got nothing to do.

Thanks to you all, Overstocked, Alyssa and jriech!
No, no and no.

And Vegetable oil will go rancid. Think fryer oil spoiling. Ew. Usually after a contaminant is introduced.

Anything you can rinse off without scrubbing in the sink will be out of the question.

Shortening will be of no use.

If you happened to have a food grade grease, I have a dow food grade lube for my meat slicer at home and it works fine.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
100% pure bees wax - insoluble in water. Lasts forever.
Thank you! This seems to be a better alternative to petroleum jelly: comes from organic sources, and is actually healthful. How does it work in your filter?

Silicone grease is another to look into... Thank you jamingo!

Thanks again OverStocked! I don't have access to food grade grease.

I have acquired petroleum jelly. Filter runs smoother even dry, and has more flow, but buying it used, and then my two years of not greasing it... It's no longer absolutely silent, but very loud. My measly store of HOB tricks is empty; I don't know of anything else besides petroleum jelly? Who knows, it could be as simple as replacing the impeller. It's just a Marineland Penguin, but it's served perfectly until now, and I'd like to keep it running.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
+1 on the silicone grease. A tiny plastic tub of it costs all of a buck or two at HD or Lowe's. And this is exactly the type of application it's designed for. No reason to find an alternative when the ideal solution is dirt cheap.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having a few spare minutes, I looked up silicone grease, and found it's used as an anti-caking agent in varied fast-fodder items such as McNuggets. Though I don't like putting stuff in my aquaria I wouldn't voluntarily put in my mouth, I might try the silicone grease if beeswax doesn't work out.

The Penguin's so loud, I can hear it through earplugs. I got my hands wet yesterday, found out the motor is just peachy, but the impeller is the noisy component, ordered a new one, and a good night's rest is 5-7 business days away.

Thank you all for your suggestions and practicality! You've no idea how much it has helped.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
With impellers it depends on how they are made. IIRC the Penguin uses plastic for the bushings and that will wear out in time so the shaft can wobble. Sometimes it's just the worn rubber tips at each end that allow it to travel up or down. I have a few HOB's that are near 20 years old and I've never done anything other than clean them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How often should your impeller shaft be lubed? I haven't ran into this issue on my canisters and they have been up for a few years now. Is this just a 'I hear noise' thing or is this actually part of the perscribed maintenance for the filter?
It's partly an 'I hear noise' (my attempt at ill-used patch for a worn impeller) but it is recommended as maintenance. In the future, I'm going to lube every six months, or as needed.

Rich: I do agree with you that natural has its place. I'll use something synthetic for say, my car's suspension, but I prefer something natural in my tanks. Fish are stuck breathing traces of whatever I use, and I may be growing my food in said tank later on. For this case, pollen traces trump chemical remnants.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.