The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share our little piece of the ocean. Its been running over a year and a half and the only real problems are an aiptasia infestation, which we are working on getting rid of

Its a 75 gallon Reef Ready tank with a 20 gallon sump and a 20 long frag tank, so a total volume of around 100 gallons, with 115 lbs of live rock. Its SPS dominated with a few lps and softies. We recently upgraded the lighting from 2 250 watt metal halides to 2 Apollo Solarblast Elite 15000K fixtures, which we couldn't be happier with. It has a reef octopus calcium reactor and a reefkeeper lite controller.

Stocking
2 o-clowns in the display
4 pink bubble tipped anemones
1 darwin clown in the frag tank
1 foxface rabbitfish
1 yellow corris wrasse
1 falco hawkfish
1 red manderin
1 yellow watchmen goby with tiger pistol shrimp
1 randalls goby
1 coral banded shrimp
1 dersa clam
1 croeca clam

The 1st picture is a comparison between the old lightng and the new and the rest are all with the new.

Our next upgrade will be 2 vortech mp40 powerheads so we can get rid of most of the koralia powerheads, but will come after we pay off the credit card from the leds

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I wish we had the funds too, lol

Actually its made us some money back, I'm probably sold over $1000 in frags in the last year and a half, not nearly enough for what it cost to set-up, but it helps

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You can try a CopperBanded butterfly to help with the aiptasia problems but they are very hard to keep alive in captivity. Find a good specimen and make sure it is eating other food to help with the success of keeping it alive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I really gotta scrape the coraline off the front, lol

Copper banded butterfly was my next and last resort. Ive tried all chemical methods, the new zapper, berghai nudibranches, and peppermints just get eaten by the coral banded in a few day. Theres a great lfs im gonna get it at the qts all fish for a month and makes sure they eat before releasing them for sale.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Play using tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you :)

I usually keep the front cleaned up, but had a lot going on so i let it go, lol. Its only been a month. The rocks shifted on the lower left so i cant clean it at all. I leave it on the back and sides because i like how it looks, plus it keeps the light out of the frag tank, which has its lights running at night

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did some coraline cleaning. I just can't get the far left due to rocks being to close

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not nearly enough, lol. Actually were replacing all of them by christmas with 2 vortech mp40s

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
You can try a CopperBanded butterfly to help with the aiptasia problems but they are very hard to keep alive in captivity. Find a good specimen and make sure it is eating other food to help with the success of keeping it alive.
Copperbandeds hard to keep?? As long as you get them from a good source, and they aren't "juiced" when they are wild caught. they are pretty tough fish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. Ive wanted the mp40s for a while. Got a good xmas bonus comin so its about time i invest in them, lol. Plus we can use them when we upgrade to a larger tank.

We ordered a cbb a few weeks ago. The lfs has had it in qt for 2 weeks and its doing great. Another 2 weeks in qt and we can pick it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.