The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Alex and my wife Amanda is the reason for this tank. And well most all of them we have, I'm just responsible for care of said tanks lol. But I do enjoy them!

We have been doing saltwater for 6 years now, and as of a 2 years ago Amanda acquired a 29 gal freshwater tank with a large koi angel fish from her work.

After about a year with us in the 29 we decided needed some more room and picked up a 55 gal. It's a fairly basic setup as I'm mostly clueless to co2 dosing and the like. But the 2 plants we have our doing well sorry I am horrible with plant names.

But for equipment we are using

1x Current satellite freshwater led and a marine land c360

Also have a 3-4" bed of eco complete, this was what I was told by a local guy with a planted tank.

Current fish
1x xl koi angel
1x dwarf graumi
1x electric blue ram
2x green Cory cats
1x 3" feather fin catfish (taking out soon)
1x pleco

We are really wanting to add more plants, but not sure how much more we can go without getting into co2 or if will need more lighting. So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Amanda really wants some dwarf sea grass to fill in the bottom, some moss for on top of the drift wood on the right, and to just add a few more plants in general.

Thanks and Sorry for rambling!!

Only picture I have on my phone currently will have to take some more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Is that a current sat + or a regular current sat? You could do plants like java fern and anubias. Co2 is not that hard and it is quite rewarding. Look into EI dosing for ferts, you would probably want to do a portion of the full dose, full dosage is for high-light tanks. Dwarf hair grass is probably what she was thinking of. You can grow it low-tech, but it is slow to carpet without co2. Other people who have low techs will probably chime in as well. Good luck, and you have some nice driftwood there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I do have a 20lb co2 bottle and a brand new regulator somewhere from a tap set I got at a garage sell. I just need to figured out what I did with the regulator.....so adding co2 isn't out of the picture I just need figure out how To go about it I guess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry missed your light question I think it is the + but I will have to check when I get home from work. We have talked about adding a second one. But the tank currently is about 7' from a large south window. Doesn't get direct light but a lot of ambient.

We also discussed moving this setup into a 60g cube we have and using radion gen 2 led. But it has a corner overflow for a sump and would need some help on how a freshwater sump works.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Nice angel. I would also add more of the same cories - another 4-5. They like company.

You can do a lot without CO2 if you want. Try some vals or hygro angustifolia along the back, java fern on the driftwood. And a few crypts - Cryptocoryne undulata, and/or wendtii.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, the angel is my wife's baby lol. We are hopefully taking the feather fin catfish back to the shop we got him and if they have more Cories will get a few more.

And thanks for the plant recommendations I'll check them out!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess been almost a year since I updated anything on this. Tanks still going and added few more plants and fish. Nothing special but the wife enjoys it and that's all I was going for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.