The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very new to planted tanks, what are ottos? I know it's and abreviation for some name of a fish and that everyone says that every tank should have one. What other fish and number of them would suit a 20gal long well?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Even though these guys are nocturnal doesnt mean they arent active during the day. They are great fish but fairly sensitive to traveling and being introduced into new tanks.

If your tank is planted I would look for fish that wont dig in your plants alot. But its up to you, what fish do you like? I suggest you go to your local fish store and look at several fish you like and watch their behavior, some are alot more interesting than others.
Ottos are fun to watch and great algae eaters.
Tetras look nice in planted tanks, especially small schools of them.

Alot of people with planted tanks use livebeares aswell, I'm not a big fan of them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have 5 in a 55g but when I upgrade to my 125g Im adding alot more. These guy's are adorable and Iv seen all 5 swimming around with my schoolers from time to time. Just be sure there Oto's and not something else

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would try and get at least 3 in your 20L but make sure their tummies are full for the most part and if not you will have to feed them since they won't be able to live off of algae alone if they are successful at eliminating it.

I think the most common O-cat is Otocinclus Affinis.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A school of neons would be cool, but how many would be a good school?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also Where can otto's be purchased? LFS, Online, etc.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
8-10 would be good could get more. I use the rule of 1 in. per gal., I don't always follow it though. I've got about 34 fish(maybe more) in my 29 gal. But if all you wanted was neons you could have around 20 even with a few otto and be alright. Just make sure you have a low ph 6.5 and soft water, neons can be alittle delicate. Otto's can be purchased all over they go for about $2 a piece

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can Otto's be purchased at, !gasp! I dont belive im saying this, petsplus/petsmart/petco?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked my petsmart last night and they didnt have any, but i did pick up some florite.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
You can find otos at virtually any pet store, at least I have. I know I've seen them at Petsmart and Petco, but I generally don't go to those places. Keep the mom-and-pop LFS's in business :)

I have 14 otos in my 90g and its neat when they all swim together. They're very active little guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still dont know what they look like so im not sure what to look for, so does anyone have any pictures?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help! Off topic question, are power filters suficent for my 20g long?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts