The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering if ottocinclus will eat string or hair algae ?
If it doesnt, what fish will eat it ? Black molly ?

I got some string or hair algae in my tank, so the best way to get rid of it is to water change ?? How much ? and how often ?? Everyday ??

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had hair algea and my molly ate it. I forgot to feed her for almost 2 days(I know...bad mommy:hihi: ), but when she didn't have fish food, she ate the algea. I don't know if I'd recommend starving your fish to get them to eat algea, but maybe cut down on the food a little so that the algea looks a little more appealing to them.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
it's best not to depend on fish to remove algae, only to keep algae from coming back. Ottos will ignore hair&string, but you may have better luck with an SAE or American Flag Fish. I'd only get a Black Molly if your tank is brackish. keep in mind the same fish that pull and pick at hair&string algae, may also attack your moss as well, but it varies from fish to fish. I've had SAE and Flags in a tank with moss and they were not interested, while my Endler's guppies picked at the moss endlessly, without doing any damage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
it's best not to depend on fish to remove algae, only to keep algae from coming back. Ottos will ignore hair&string, but you may have better luck with an SAE or American Flag Fish. I'd only get a Black Molly if your tank is brackish. keep in mind the same fish that pull and pick at hair&string algae, may also attack your moss as well, but it varies from fish to fish. I've had SAE and Flags in a tank with moss and they were not interested, while my Endler's guppies picked at the moss endlessly, without doing any damage.
Thanks you SO much!!! The moss in the tank with my molly looks sad(to say the least). Though I haven't caught her eating it, I'm sure she's the culprit!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The SAE certanly eats long hair algae, and the otto's eat the short fuzzy stuff. I actualy thing that the SAE eats all kinds of thread algae. I also know that ramshorn snails, like the cheap (free) pond snails eat green thread algae. Of course, if you get those snails, you have to find something to controll the snails.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The pond snails will also eat the plants.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I go for molly, it has to be the black molly yeah ?
Other molly wont algae I suppose ?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The pond snails will also eat the plants
yup, they do. I have 1 zebra loach, and manualy removing them during water changes. This seems to keep the holes on my plants to a minimum. My loach is super fat though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts