The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been having an annoying amount of algae on the glass of my 10 gal. i'd like to get an otto cleanup crew. what do you guys think? 1? 2?
currently in the tank are
1 priscilla "x-ray" tetra
5 rummies
4 neons
15-20 ghost shrimp
it has been like this for a while,
0 ammonia/nitrite, 10-ish nitrate, PH 7.2. hard water. co2 estimate 16 ppm

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Heard, read and experienced that ottos like company, so I'd say at least two. A nerite snail or two would be good, as well!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I recommend that you get a pair of otos.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, thx guys i wasn't sure if ottos would be happier in a pair or not. i'll be hitting the lfs later today to pick up a couple :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
the more the better. my 10 has done a trio very well for over a year. just make sure you provide additional food once they wipe out the algae. wafers, blanched green veggies (romaine, cukes, zukes).

·
Registered
96 Posts
oh and try and find zebra ottos, best looking ones.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Otos are very social fish, so actually they should be kept in groups of 3 or more. You can do a trio in that 10g with your current stock list. I've kept up to 5 at a time in a heavily planted 10g.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
i've been having an annoying amount of algae on the glass of my 10 gal. i'd like to get an otto cleanup crew. what do you guys think? 1? 2?
currently in the tank are
1 priscilla "x-ray" tetra
5 rummies
4 neons
15-20 ghost shrimp
it has been like this for a while,
0 ammonia/nitrite, 10-ish nitrate, PH 7.2. hard water. co2 estimate 16 ppm
I would opt for a clean papertowel folded into fourths to take care of the glass. Otocinclus in my view, should be kept in groups of no less than five and a group of otto's would quickly clean the glass and then supplement feeding would become necessary. Some of these little fish will adapt to vegetable matter and or algae wafers and some do not.
If algae on the glass is chronic condition,I might look into the root cause rather than adding fish to a smallish tank that is already well stocked IMHO. If you feel you must have such fish for algae eating capabilities,, I might look at aquiring a small fish such as the Pit Bull pleco. They are very good at removing algae and seldom reach two inches long ,maybe a bit larger,,but not much.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I remember seeing them recently online somewhere, if I can find it again, I'll post up. They are very expensive though. I'll second the zebra nerites, nice to look at, great on the algae, lay eggs that don't hatch in FW so no overrunning the tank. cheap and easy compared to the zebra otos.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I would buy more than I would need since some die off in the first few hours of accumulation. I got five and three two in one day.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
This threat was posted on 2009 and I doubt the poster is still looking for an answer. But in his 10 gal he should not keep more than 2 ottos and no zebra otos, as they actually prefer meatier foods over algae.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts