The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I had a bit of an algae outbreak in my tank and so I went and got 4 otos. They have been doing great and fattening up, so I introduced them to the 125 discus tank. They cleaned up nearly everything I was wanting them to.

They still have a lot to go though and also get fed algae Wafers occasionally.

I came home last weekend to them latched on to my discus. I freaked out and immediately removed all 4.

I thought discus were safe with otos? They're amazing little algae cleaners but I'm not risking my discus for them. Anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Maybe the discus asked really nice and the oto was bored and figured what the heck as long as no one takes any photos...

...really though how much algae did you have in there?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Some people are successful and say they're fine, others have your experience (enough that it's not uncommon).

About the only thing you can do is try to give them additional food, but I personally wouldn't risk it now that they've "discovered" a new food source. Discus temps are a bit too high for otos anyway IMHO, at least long term.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This is one of those things that some people say never happens; yet many witness it firsthand. You may or may not know that discus produce more of a slime coat than other species; and they are one of the only species whom allow their young to literally feed off of them and eat that slime coat. Legend has it that once an otto learns this and develops a taste for that discus slime coat they will basically harass the discus to no end to continue feeding off it. That being said, I'd remove the ottos There is a chance that a different group of ottos might not do the same thing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep my discus at 82. And yeah that's what my thinking is. Not worth it to lose such a high dollar fish over a $2 oto

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Yeah, I've had that problem more than once with both Otos and SAE's, and I hear it happens often with many types of Plecos, except BNP's. It usually occurs as these species get more mature, larger and more aggressive, and they quickly develop a taste for the discus slime coat protein.
Discus can usually manage to readily shrug them off, but it's a hassle for the discus which no doubt stresses them, and of course stress often leads to health issues with discus. Not worth keeping any of these guys as tank-mates for discus anytime.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a BN pleco in there but it does nothing of a job like the otos did

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Well, I've never had them do it to a discus but they did with larger Angelfish. I banished them a long time ago. My guess is they'll do it to any slower moving flat-bodied fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts