The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My otos don't ever come out, I see them every once in a while before the lights come on, but during the day they don't come out. They look fat when I see them, so they are getting enough to eat, however at my LFS I see them out and about all the time, and I never see mine. I have 4, but that number could be lower, as they could die, and I probably wouldn't know because I never see them. It is pretty heavily planted
Stocking:
2 SAE, 3" and 4"
2 Bolivian Rams, 2"
9 Guppies
5 neon tetras
4 pristella tetras
100's of ramshorn snails

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have 55 otos in my big display tank, and I see one or two *maybe* once a week. I only know they're there because I have a backlight that comes on ahead of the overhead lights, and I can see them moving around a bit.

Most LFS tanks are so artificial there's really nowhere to hide. They get "fished out" so often they also learn that even if there are decorations, they're not really safe in there.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As long as they're fat and eating your algae/food they should be fine. The most recent additions I got all died on me, but my other otos are all going strong. I see them all over the rocks since I removed most of my guppy grass.
My kuhli loaches also hang out at the front of the tank looking for food during the day, so maybe my fish are just weird.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Not unusual at all.

The only time I really see mine are during a water change. I can't explain why, but they all congregate on the front glass as the water goes down. Really strange. But they all come and hang out together, and then I don't see them for the rest of the week. Gives me a chance to count them. And they are always all there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Mine stay relatively hidden as well, i think they're not a fan of the bright light... I dimmed mine down and i see them a bit more often now. I also think they may be more nocturnal fish, as I have a moonlight that does a decent job providing light (once your eyes adjust) but is very dim otherwise and you can see them moving around more in the dark

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mine love fresh zucchini and will come out and feed on it with lights on. On another note I seen one in my 40 gallon that I hadn't seen for over 6 months. He was good and fat it was good see he was in there. But yes there very shy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.