The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I recently noticed one of my Otos harassing my Bolivian Ram. I didn't think they were slime coat feeders. They get plenty of food (They are fat and I see them eat; they eat sinking algae pellets and also have a nice layer of algae on their walls), but once in a while, they will attach themselves to my Ram's head like tiny remoras, and my Ram hates it.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is this common behavior?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Are you sure they're otos?
If so, and they really do have enough food, you could just have an aggressive batch of eaters. I don't think there's any way to stop it, aside from just putting the otos in a tank with nothing big enough for them to latch onto.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Crazy why some people have issues with sucker mouth fish sucking on other fish's slime coat. I don't know why that happens, but it's not "normal".
Let's try to identify what may be causing it.

What's your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, GH, temperature, TDS)?
Tank size?
Tank mates (and number of fish)?
Lot of flow/current/surface agitation/oxygen?
What are you feeding? (brand)
Plenty of natural algae and microorganisms/biofilm? Or just commercial foods?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crazy why some people have issues with sucker mouth fish sucking on other fish's slime coat. I don't know why that happens, but it's not "normal".
Let's try to identify what may be causing it.

What's your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, GH, temperature, TDS)?
Tank size?
Tank mates (and number of fish)?
Lot of flow/current/surface agitation/oxygen?
What are you feeding? (brand)
Plenty of natural algae and microorganisms/biofilm? Or just commercial foods?

Let's see:

Water Params (Amm: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates:10, pH: 7.4, not sure on KH or GH, Temp: 78, not sure on TDS)
Size: 55 gallon
Tank-mates: Cardinal/Gold Tetras, Praecox rainbows, Pygmy Hatchets, Kuhli Loaches, Zebra Loaches, Honeycomb Catfish, Bolivian Rams, Bamboo Shrimp, Nerites
Flow: Very high with a few spots of calm water where the hatchets hang out
Food Brand: Almost Natural Tropical Fish Food Algae Discs (mix of spirulina and kelp)
Algae: A lot of it on the back wall + I put in algae-covered rocks once a week. Used to put fresh cucumber in but they wouldn't eat.

Bump: Picture for species reference:

·
Registered
618 Posts
that's super weird I have never heard of otos doing that before. I don't even do all of what you do and my otos seem happy and fat I mean they get wafer discs and some times shrimp pellets and that's it. some times all I ever see they do is lay with the corys eating the discs.. but my guys don't stick to any my rams of acara...I think it has to be with the type of food your giving them...you should try Ken's Premium Veggie Wafers for $4 for 1/2 pound its a steal and good quality too!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Try a different wafer, with higher protein.
My fish do not eat ANTFF algae wafers, though they will eat the green flakes (same ingredients).
Perhaps a carnivore wafer, once in a while.
Perhaps one of the sinking pellets or sticks from ANTFF.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I've ordered some of Ken's wafers to try.

The Otos mostly seem to go for the algae wafers, but I am also feeding the tank ANTFF earthworm pellets and ANTFF Super Color flakes, with the occasional Breeder's Delight Cinco and Green Flakes thrown in. Not sure what's going on!

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
That is quite odd. I've known of plecos doing it, but didn't think otos would be aggressive enough to go after another fish's slime coat. I'd also like to see this captured on video (not to be cruel to the rams, but out of scientific curiosity).

I feed my otos blanched cucumbers and a few variety of algae/veggie foods including repashy soilent green.. though i don't know if the otos ever get to it.. the cory always find it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think Otos are picky about the type of algae they eat. They ignore my green glass, but once it's wiped down they'll stick to it. If I add an organic cucumber or zucchini, it becomes their life line in the tank that seems like it has more algae. The veggies get ignored in what appears to be the cleaner tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.