The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought ten Otocinclus affinis for my 75 a couple of months ago, and they totally cleaned it up of algae. I lost one recently and was worried about starvation, so I put three of them in my 38 two weeks ago. The tank has a bunch of vals, crypts, naja, wisteria, and a very "healthy" coating of brown algae. The otos loved the move, and I noticed one of them get really, really fat. So fat, I was worried about dropsy.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. Made my cup of joe, sat down to watch the fish, and I see some strange behavior on a Val leaf in the front of the tank. Sure enough, it is that really fat oto. Wait, what is wrapped around her? It's the male, who literally has her wrapped with his entire body. Her ovipositor is extended, and they are doing an awesome dance up and down the bottom side of the leaf. Then they move to the underside of a crypt leaf. So cool! I am super excited, and yell to my wife, who really isn't all that interested. I didn't see any eggs, but the darn Pseudomugil gertrudae that I picked up last weekend (cool fish!) are following the pair around. Darn! I hope some eggs survive. It would be so cool to have some little otos swimming around! I may have to set up a 10 gallon algae tank for them.

Crappy cell phone picture with just the female follows. Can you find her? Front of tank on a crypt leaf. Note light coating of brown algae on the glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice post. I had just set up a 30 gallon and when the algal bloom started, had moved my 4 ottos into it. was hoping to see something like this. so far they are happy and did a good job of cleaning up the algal mess. Planning to introduce some angels tomorrow.

All the best... hope to see some pics of oto fry soon.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oto's are notoriously hard to breed, so if you do please keep us updated with anything you did to help, water parameters, etc. Good luck. Tank bred otos would help overcome the problem of how the wild ones are caught and kept in poor conditions as they make their way to the end consumer.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Oto's are notoriously hard to breed, so if you do please keep us updated with anything you did to help, water parameters, etc. Good luck. Tank bred otos would help overcome the problem of how the wild ones are caught and kept in poor conditions as they make their way to the end consumer.

Oddly enough A lot of people on here have captive breed their otos. Its not as hard as it used to be anymore. Theres a thread floating around here somewhere with baby otos

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Yes I just posted a thread about my otos breeding. I had three babies that made it to about 4 days old, before I haven't see them in a few days. They may still be someone in the tank, but who knows?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah - if I ever get a big tank, I will try my hand at oto breeding because they seem more interesting then shrimp breeding. It's like oto's are the cheap knock-off of blood diamonds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts