The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was not trying to breed them. I moved them from a 10G at home about 1-2 months ago to my 5.5G tank at work. I've done 1 water change about 2 weeks ago. The only thing that I could contribute to them wanting to spawn was I made sure that the tank was full of brown and green algae before I brought them over. I keep the lights on over night every other day to stimulate more algae growth. The female started getting heavy with eggs as soon as I put her in the tank. I honestly can't sex these guys without the female getting heavy.
I have heard that most of the time when Otos spawn, they are in with a group of cories that have spawned in the last week or so or are in the process of spawning. Something to do with the smell of sex in the water that turns them on.
That can't be the case here as I have just the 2 Otos and 5 male guppies in the tank. Shrug.
Otocinclus spawning.
Otocinclus spawning continued.
Potato Phone Pictures

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Well Gratz on getting them getting it on! You can probably sell the offspring for decent $$ since they will be tank bred and not wild caught.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since the Otos keep the algae down so well and don't really like algae wafers. I'm looking into growing algae rocks. (Rocks in a jar with water sitting in direct sunlight). Maybe your difficulties are do to lack of food? I know that the reason that a lot of otos don't like algae wafers, is because they contain shrimp and other meat. Being almost completely herbivorous and the fact that all chain pet stores are selling wild caught. They pretty much ignore anything processed.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I think kens fish food makes a pure veggie bar/water/whatever that some people said their otos eat. Not tried myself to say if that's true or not though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Since the Otos keep the algae down so well and don't really like algae wafers. I'm looking into growing algae rocks. (Rocks in a jar with water sitting in direct sunlight). Maybe your difficulties are do to lack of food? I know that the reason that a lot of otos don't like algae wafers, is because they contain shrimp and other meat. Being almost completely herbivorous and the fact that all chain pet stores are selling wild caught. They pretty much ignore anything processed.
I think my difficulties are probably due to a lack of food. I try feeding zuchini or cucumber on a regular basis and I've seen one or two attached to it but I'm sure that shouldn't be a regular thing for them. I'll continue to do research.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Mine took a while to figure out the veggies were food (they started latching I after the realized "all the snails are eating this new mystery thing!" *nom * "... Yum!"

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have Babies now.

Took them two days to hatch.

Just so I don't forget.
Water parameters were: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, Nitrates 80-120ppm. Temp 78.

I know the Nitrates are high, and I've done a water change yesterday. I will be doing another one today after I test.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
holy crap that's high nitrates! most people say otos are too sensitive to handle it even getting to 40ppm, suprise they bred in that!
and gratz on babies hope you have a high survival rate!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've checked the nitrate today and they are down to 60ppm, but after testing the water that I'm using for the water changes, it has high nitrate levels from the get go. I'll have to look into some RO water or nitrate remover.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
My tap reads 20ppm nitrates always, only way I ever hit 0ppm was when I had no fish and a lot of plant mass. Make sure to change over to ro gradually, doing never water change with ro could kill them from the drastic change in parameters. (maybe do a 1/4 ro 3/4 tap, then 1/2 and 1/2, etc..)

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You should check for phosphates in your tap water too. When I visited my sister up in Canton, MI, I checked her water. It had phosphates in it. I'm not sure if you guys use the same water treatment plant.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no idea what the importance if phosphates is, but I will do the research into it. Thanks for the heads up. I dose leaf zone weekly and it has phosphates and iron in it. I don't know if that is good or bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts