The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight when I fed my fish (some 'Tropical Fish Crisps'), the otos were totally pigging out on them. I also fed them a little algae wafer, which they completely ignored and passed over to eat the regular fish food.

The bottle of fish food is in my sleeping sons room, so I don't want to grab it to check the ingredients right now, but doesn't most tropical fish food contain protiens? I thought otos didn't eat that stuff?

Last night they went nutso over the algae wafer (I feed about 1/3 of a hikari algae wafer), but tonight they even chased away a couple neons who got too close to the crisps. I took some video too, it was just really odd to me. I don't think I've ever seen them eat those before!

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
all animals eat protein, as all animals need amino acids (what proteins are made of). its just how large of a portion of the diet of the animal should be.
my guess - the flakes they were eating has a large portion that is of plant origin. soy meal, alfalfa, spirulina, etc.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My grandmother's cat used to go crazy over frozen, uncooked sweet corn, offered on a spoon. No matter an animals natural diet, sometimes they just like what they like, and sometimes its a bit abnormal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Haha, my ottos love API veggie flakes or whatever they are called, they will ignore the sides of the tank to hunt it down and eat it up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts