The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I had a school of aobut 15 cardinals for the past few months and they were doing fine. Then, recently, they started dropping one by one with no apparent cause until i would see them dead somewhere in the tank.

My oto's are the same way. I buy a few and all of them slowly die suddenly. 3 of them have lasted. I don't know if its my temps killing them since i run at about 82.5 F and up.

My harlequin rasbora's, discus, cories, threadfin rainbows, and bristlenose are doing fine.

Could it be the pH swings when my lights are off? it fluctuates about .5 to .7.

My pH is 6.7 during lights on and 7.25 out of the tap. My nitrites, ammonia are at 0. dkH is 7 and nitrate is 10ppm. my temp is 82.5 F. i do 50% water changes once or twice a week.

The only recent change is i removed my HOB filter and now run a lone XP3 since i had issues with too much surface agitation and loss of CO2. Also, i added a small trio of rams that didn't make it due to something (showed white poop like hex and rapid breathing like flukes). The cardinals never showed either of those symptons my rams did.

please help and how do i stop the others from dying?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I think you answered your own question. They're sick.
But the question is what. It's most likely contagious so treat the whole tank. And always quarantine new fish.

I'll take a shot and say treat with praziquantel and maracyn 2.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You can lower your temp to 81-82
When you check your PH out of the tap, is it after it sits around for 24hrs?
Otos need food, hope you are feeding them.
It is not easy to get a good batch of Otos from just any LFS.
When you buy them, make sure they are nice and fat, otherwise you have a slim chance.
I have seen large discus go after small fish, same as the angels.
QT tank is very helpful.
Sometimes when you purchase fish from LFS, you can ask them to hold it for you for 3-5 days, the stress from shipping might be a problem.
Build a relationship with the LFS and don't buy fish on the day of delivery, always a problem.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just lost a rainbow today and and another wasn't swimming well.

I noticed that the tail fin is all messed up. I'm not sure if the discus are trying to eat them or not and causing injury which leads to death. Since i'm not seeing anything wrong w/my harlequins are more rhombiod in shape. My cardinals are showing the same damage when i pull out dead ones. My discus have grown a bit and maybe they are preying on them.

I remember having angels that decimated my cardinal population. Perhaps thats what it is.

I thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They medicine won't hurt your fish. Cardinals are very susceptible to parasites. So when you get them make sure you QT them for at least 2 weeks, esp. if your LFS doesn't. I have found that the LFS' that QT and feed Jungle anti-parasite food survive, while the LFS' that don't QT their fish die slowly over time.
Also, rams, cardinals and otos do better in soft water in my experience. Otos do better in a well established tank that has a lot of algae growing, so they don't starve to death. They should also be acclimated before putting them into tank. The acclimation period is longer for them than most other fish...
Any other feel free to ask or find me at the next SCAPE meeting on the 13th!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Agree with yogi, if you do use jungle anti-parasite food, which I think is a great product, you will need to crush it a little and soar it in liquid garlic.
Fish don't like medicated food, the garlic helps.
RE: the Otos, the ones that come to the LFS malnourished, have a slim chance of surviving, and yes you need to feed them, green veg's are the best. When you buy Otos look for the ones that have some body fat.
The soft acidic water helps with some bacteria problems and yes Angels, rams, cardinals and Otos do better, but i wouldn't play with the water parameters.

If you want to treat the whole tank and will not use a QT, then get the parasite clear tablets by Jungle labs, you should be fine.
Just monitor your water parameters.
Keep your lights low, not to stress the fish too much.

You can see problems when fish doesn't eat and hides and had visible damage.

Keep up with large WTC.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The rams were sick and passed it on to the cardinals. Cardinals are delicate and are usually the first to be susceptible and die with little to no visible symptoms in my experience. Otos are delicate too when still adapting to a new enviroment. The removal of the HOB could have taken out enough beneficial bacteria to weaken the cardinals' immune systems. Again, in my experience, the slightest change can throw things out of wack and the cardinals are the first to go.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i put my aqua clear hob back on after another 50% change and all my fish are good to go.

I think it may have been co2 poisoning since the surface agitation from my hob has lowered my dissolved co2 levels. My water is also much clearer which leads me to question my water quality even though all my parameters checked out ok.

I ordered another canister filter to help out with filtration and my new drop checker should arrive to help me maintain everything and allow me to remove my hob.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.