The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a single Oto for my 10g tank. Right now I'm looking at having an Oto, some 4-5 cory cats and maybe some tetras but I'm not sure, I might just stick with the Oto and Corys.

How much algae is one oto controlling? Now I know there are no specific answers but from research online I can't even get a ballpark estimate.

Would a single Oto for a 10g take care it pretty well for the most part (with just low to moderate algae). I could always add some amano shrimp if needed or supply with Oto with wafers if not enough algae is present.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Otos should be kept in groups, as they are social fish just like corys. I have 5 in my 20 and they don't really do all that great of a job. It really depends on how fast it is growing. Their diet will need to be supplemented with algae wafers as well. Look into cherry shrimp instead of amano, they are very good at keeping algae under control.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ive never found that fish do a particularly good job at cleaning algae. Weekly glass scraping is the only thing that works for me.
Although i have a low light rcs tank which is 10 gallons and never scrapped the glass in 2 months.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Otos will mostly only take care of diatoms and green surface algae on glass and hardscape. I can assure you they won't do a thing with Green spot algae. There's no such rule as Oto per gallon to keep your tank clean... They tend to stick together, so I'd get at least 3-4 so they feel more secure. The key is to keep their bellies round and NEVER get them starved or they will die. I have 3 otos in densely planted 5 gallon tank with no visible algae issues (at least I don't see any) and they still manage to scrape something off the hardscape and plants. I also feed them blanched zucchini once in a while when I feel they must be tired from all that work :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
this reminds me I Havent done cucumbers in my tank in forever! My ottos still seem plump.

Word of advice. You want 3 or 4 ottos, BUY SEVEN cause half will die within a few days to a week. I must have had 10 and have the two alone now.
I think snails do a better job with algea. And a few amano shrimp if you can grab them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
this reminds me I Havent done cucumbers in my tank in forever! My ottos still seem plump.

Word of advice. You want 3 or 4 ottos, BUY SEVEN cause half will die within a few days to a week. I must have had 10 and have the two alone now.
I think snails do a better job with algea. And a few amano shrimp if you can grab them.
I agree I have olive nerite snails and horned nerite snails and they keep the glass super clean. I have only cleaned the glass once in the past year in my 20 gallon! I only had to do that much because I stopped dosing Phosphorous and got GSA-the nerites were working on it, but it was taking too long. I have had them (otos & nerites) in a 10 gallon and 20 gallon. My horned nerites even get down into the substrate at the front of the tank, going along the glass. My otos without the snails do not seem to make much of a dent on the algae. Very nice interesting fish. Mine like to spend time 'schooling' with my dwarf corys. And yes I always lose 50% of otos in the 1st 48 hours for some reason. After that they are so far trouble free for almost 2 years now that I have had them.

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
Otos should be kept in groups, as they are social fish just like corys. I have 5 in my 20 and they don't really do all that great of a job. It really depends on how fast it is growing. Their diet will need to be supplemented with algae wafers as well. Look into cherry shrimp instead of amano, they are very good at keeping algae under control.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have!

Otto's do a great job actually, on certain types of algae. Some types they will not touch.

Amanos are much better algae eaters than cherries also.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
The best algae cleaner out there is YOU. Identify the algae, correct the imbalance causing it, and remove existing algae yourself then it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The best algae cleaner out there is YOU. Identify the algae, correct the imbalance causing it, and remove existing algae yourself then it shouldn't be an issue.
Unfortunately the nerites are a bit better at cleaning every nook and cranny on my velociraptor ornament than I am. For the glass though, nothing beats a glass scraper and a scrubby follow up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.