The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About half year ago, I tried Otocynclus for controlling BG algae. I bought seven of them at Petsmart. Interesting and attractive fish, peaceful and busy with eating those algae. Despite plenty of BG algae, they did not live long. I offered them a steamed leaf of spinach sometimes, they ate it well. One by one they died. Only one still survives, he is about 6 months old now. I have to buy them again for BG algae control or find another organism for that purpose. Where people buy Nerite snails?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
You can get Nerite snails here on TPT sometimes. Almost every LFS near me that is heavy on the salt water fish usually have them. A store near me that is pretty much 90% salt carries them that they keep in salt and fresh water depending on your needs. These snails are nice but will not breed in freshwater so eventually your entire stock will die off. If you wanted a different solution you can go with MTS, a lot of people give them a bad rap because they are asexual and if you don't take care of your tanks you will end up with a zillion of them. I've personaly had MTS and pond snails in my aquariums for over 5 years and have never had an over breeding problem. When the lights are on you don't even see them, mine tend to only come out at night.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My otos (Otocynclus vittatus) ate blue green algae on the glass and on leaves of plants. They did it pretty well. I like this fish, but I do not want to buy them again and again. I usually breed what I keep. When I tried to breed otos in a 10 gallons tank, they did not breed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.