The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was planning on getting otos tomorrow and had a few questions.

1. Can you get only 2 Otos?
2. Will it be safe for Otos to be in a tank with Gravel substrate, not sand?
3. Can you put an Otos in a 10 gallon tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So i was planning on getting otos tomorrow and had a few questions.

1. Can you get only 2 Otos?
2. Will it be safe for Otos to be in a tank with Gravel substrate, not sand?
3. Can you put an Otos in a 10 gallon tank?

Thanks.
yes to all. Sure they like to be kept in schools but two in a 10 g is fine.Is your tank cycled?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks. Yes my tank is cycled. I am planning on adding them to my tank which already has some fish in it.
otos can starve if they don't have enough algae. Since most are wild caught, they don't always take to dried foods like algae pellets right away. So food ends up being more of an issue with new Otos, than how many. They have a pretty low bioload.

Reactions: Now3 and Fat Guy

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes they dont need a big current. Also if youre buying them from the fish store make sure you pick ones that look active and healthy (round belly, moving around and eating) and try to get them eating within the first 24 hours of being in your tank. I'd chuck in a blanched zuchinni slice or similar initially since you say theres not a whole lot of algae just to maximise their chances of surviving. Theyre notorious for dying on you in their first few days or weeks in a new tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.