The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying oto for my 10g shrimp tank. I am wondering how many I can put in. I will be migrating them to a 20h in the next few weeks so this is temporary. I understand that there will not be enough algae for them but I feed the oto repashys and veggies regularly so food is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy at least three, mostly because they're schooling fish and don't appreciate being alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqHGfSExkQ
I was thinking 5 as thats how many the lfs has. I dont think they will be to crowded. Filtration for now is a sponge filter with powerhead so that should handle the bioload. Tank has plants but I would call it moderately planted.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
IMO otos should be in proper shoals of 6 or more and in a minimum 20g well aged (diatom filled and cycled) tank. They are much more active in larger groups and the more surface area you can give them to feed on the better!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with AquaAurora, Otos should really be ina larger tank, they're happier in larger groups and they are pretty active, I don't feel a ten gallon has enough room for a proper shoal of them.

If you're looking for an algae eating crew, snails are a great choice for shrimp tanks. A single Nerite could work well, or Ramshorns.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all. I can wait until I get everything moved over to the 20. I appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Waiting is definitely a good idea. They'd be OK in a 10g for a couple of weeks as far as space goes, but some otos won't eat anything other than algae and would absolutely starve even while being offered veggies. They're weird, fussy little fish.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Waiting is definitely a good idea. They'd be OK in a 10g for a couple of weeks as far as space goes, but some otos won't eat anything other than algae and would absolutely starve even while being offered veggies. They're weird, fussy little fish.
Agree completely, while I quarantined my otos in a10g they are much happier in their 25g permanent home

·
Registered
474 Posts
This guy raised quite a few generations in his 10 gallon tanks:
Otocinclus Breeding - PlanetCatfish.com

If they weren't happy they wouldn't have bred. There's a thread on this board too by the same guy. It's really a case of having enough food available.

Smaller volumes require more attention to water changes too, and a 20 is certainly going to make this easier, but I don't find otos much more sensitive than other fish once they settle in. As an example, corys are way more likely to get ich etc than otos in my experience (if water quality isn't good) and yet people don't tend to think of corys as particularly sensitive.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all who replied. I think I can wait. In my heart I knew the answer. My 20 will be set up much better to house the oto and shrimp anyway so I can hold off.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have 8 wild caught otos in a 10 gal for quarantine and they have taken to algae wafers and sinking veggie sticks. Also they seem much healthier than the ones you get from fish stores. I got them directly from an importer 10 days ago and they are very active. 3 will go into a 30 gal with my 3 resident otos. The other five in either a 75 or 55 gal. I have not decided yet. But you can keep otos in a smaller tank temporarily if you feed them on the side. Once one oto figures out what is food the others will follow. All of my new ones as eating the algae wafers while they are still ignoring zucchini. My resident otos in the other tank are eating zucchini. I will put that theory to the test when 3 of the wild caught ones enter the 30 gal. If they then eat zucchini as well you really only need one smart oto for them all to do good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.