The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you guys can tell in the picture, but I came home just now and one of my oto catfish's stomach has abrasions? Looks like blood spots? You think he might of scraped it on the dragon stone? Not sure if this was the one the was hiding in between the dragon stone and tank earlier. He is breathing a little bit more rapidly, but I noticed do notice they all do that at times.

Edit: After turning on the light. he is the one that likes to wedge himself between super tight spaces. Also, noticed when the light turns on he freaks out.. He is also missing part of his tail? Is there any way to help him heal??

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The bleeding kind of looks intenal. But Melafix (use caution if you have a Betta or Gourami in the tank) can help the fish heal. Other than that, keep the water clean/healthy and minimize any stress, especially with said to be fragile otos. Get the oto a little cave that is safe to hide in if he is getting hurt where he normally hides.

Red streaks can be from infections as well.
See if other fish have any symptoms.

Check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrates as well.
pH and Temperature?

What tank mates are in there? (incase the damaged tail and hiding is caused by another tankmate)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He looks like a she, just FYI. Otos are prone to photoshock, so anything you can do to ease the transition is appreciated.
How do you tell the difference in sexes?

Also, what can i do to ease the transition for my photoperiod? It's on a timer and throughout the day I'm never home since I work all day.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Females are noticeably fatter. I have over 50 right now so I've just learned to tell them apart.

Best thing to ease the transition (if there's any natural light in the room) is to wait until the sun is up before turning the main light on. Natural transition. Failing that, a small cheap eBay LED light string with a dimmer? Won't grow plants, but the otos will appreciate it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Females are noticeably fatter. I have over 50 right now so I've just learned to tell them apart.

Best thing to ease the transition (if there's any natural light in the room) is to wait until the sun is up before turning the main light on. Natural transition. Failing that, a small cheap eBay LED light string with a dimmer? Won't grow plants, but the otos will appreciate it.
Ah, that makes sense. I do notice that her and this other possible female are the fattest out of the rest. I couldn't tell when I first bought them because they were starved. At first I thought I overfed them. Lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.