The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just not happy with the way colors look under 2xFluval 3.0's. I imagine it lacks in the red spectrum. What other options should I look at?
75 gallon standard rimmed.

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
I'm just not happy with the way colors look under 2xFluval 3.0's. I imagine it lacks in the red spectrum. What other options should I look at?
75 gallon standard rimmed.
You need a better idea of what you don't like about the color .

My guess if you don't switch completely to something like t5's a RGB led array might suit you better.

White leds especially low cri ones have a tendency to err " mute" colors.
Since you have no real yellow in rgb it exaggerates all the colors that are "deamed" important.

Chihiros is probably the most used.
Not the A series. All white

Amazon.com: Chihiros WRGB 2 60CM Lighting Aquarium LED Light, Sunrise-Daylight-Moonlight Mode, Built-in Bluetooth Controller Fish Tank Light with Extendable Bracket for Planted Tank: Home Improvement

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a better idea of what you don't like about the color .

My guess if you don't switch completely to something like t5's a RGB led array might suit you better.

White leds especially low cri ones have a tendency to err " mute" colors.
Since you have no real yellow in rgb it exaggerates all the colors that are "deamed" important.

Chihiros is probably the most used.
Not the A series. All white

Amazon.com: Chihiros WRGB 2 60CM Lighting Aquarium LED Light, Sunrise-Daylight-Moonlight Mode, Built-in Bluetooth Controller Fish Tank Light with Extendable Bracket for Planted Tank: Home Improvement
Yeah, the over all look has a yellow cast.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Really any RGB light. I've complained about it before but Fluval's bright white, warm white, pink, and blue combination is nowhere close to RGB. I have no idea how they settled on those colors for their LED's.

I'd say just pick out a tank you like and use what they're using. If you want your tank to look like Greggz's that would be T5's.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really any RGB light. I've complained about it before but Fluval's bright white, warm white, pink, and blue combination is nowhere close to RGB. I have no idea how they settled on those colors for their LED's.

I'd say just pick out a tank you like and use what they're using. If you want your tank to look like Greggz's that would be T5's.
Yeah, his tank looks incredible under those lights. Do you think those Finnex ALC lights would look better? Are they true RGB?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I generally think you get what you pay for with lights, except for maybe with the premium brands like ADA and Kessil. That said, the Finnex ALC lights apparently use true 660 nm red LED's which is what you want for red color rendition. Color rendition on the greens looks a little more muted, but they are like half the price of the next highest priced RGB lights so I suppose that's the trade off.

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
Yeah, his tank looks incredible under those lights. Do you think those Finnex ALC lights would look better? Are they true RGB?
Most Finnex w/ 660nm red and the "usual" 7000-8000K whites look pretty err "clean".

fluval is a "choice" ..and of coures adjustable w/ loos of PAR though..
note low 660nm and broad green/yellow but lots of blue if one dims the whites a lot.
Try shutting ch 4 off..

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
How important is adjustability, in your opinion?
Well dimming is silly not to have w/ leds since it is so simple and cheap.

Channel control is important if one is picky on color or wants "effects".

I know I'm jaded but either of the above is not an option but a need.

One needs to decide on their own need/wants.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well dimming is silly not to have w/ leds since it is so simple and cheap.

Channel control is important if one is picky on color or wants "effects".

I know I'm jaded but either of the above is not an option but a need.

One needs to decide on their own need/wants.
True. Thank you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. I read up on those last night. While doing so, I ran across the AI Prism Freshwater. Know anything about them? I couldn't find any PAR information unfortunately. Maybe I well have to email them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The fan on the AI prime is loud. The app also sucks harder than most aquarium light apps, and that is saying something.
Hmm, bummer. Thank you.

The fan on the AI prime is loud. The app also sucks harder than most aquarium light apps, and that is saying something.
Fan and app aside, how much PAR can they produce?

If I went for this, get 1 light at 120cm or get 2x 60cm and would the 120 or 2x60 have enough spread front to back?
Amazon.com : Chihiros WRGB II 30-120 Aquarium LED Light, Aquatic Sunrise Sunset Full Spectrum App Dimmable RGB Light (Chihiros WRGB II 120) : Pet Supplies

·
Registered
531 Posts
If I went for this, get 1 light at 120cm or get 2x 60cm and would the 120 or 2x60 have enough spread front to back?
Amazon.com : Chihiros WRGB II 30-120 Aquarium LED Light, Aquatic Sunrise Sunset Full Spectrum App Dimmable RGB Light (Chihiros WRGB II 120) : Pet Supplies
Probably 1 x 120 cm unless you wanna get real creative with your hanging.

If I was you I'd start with one and use the fluval as a supplementary light as needed. I use the Chihiros as my main light and the 3 ft Fluval to take pictures. It prevents any dark spots

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably 1 x 120 cm unless you wanna get real creative with your hanging.

If I was you I'd start with one and use the fluval as a supplementary light as needed. I use the Chihiros as my main light and the 3 ft Fluval to take pictures. It prevents any dark spots
Are you happy with the light? Do you think it will last for a while. I've read some stories about them dying.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Are you happy with the light? Do you think it will last for a while. I've read some stories about them dying.
I got the first-gen WRGB in December 2019, so I've had it about 2.5 years without any defects. Not the exact same light but unless the build quality is significantly worse on the WRGBII I would buy it again. I went back and found the post where I switched from Fluval to Chihiros: The high-tech 22 gallon long (and other projects)

Your experience may vary. People also say that if you don't use a 3 stage, gold plated, medical grade, American made CO2 regulator with a Clippard Mouse billion-cycle solenoid your house might explode. I have been using the $40 ebay special for 3 years now with no issues. So maybe I'm good at taking care of stuff or maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts