The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Osmocote root tabs are very popular nowadays because they are easy to use and provide steady nutrients. I use osmocote flower and vegetables and i've had no problems with algae whatsoever. My emersed setups also really thrive when supplemented by osmocote. I use size #2 kosher certified gelatin capsules. Usually these root tabs are made with size 00 capsules but size #2 capsules are smaller and contains a bit less than half of the amount. Thus you can dose for smaller tanks and get a more even coverage.
plant 2-3 inches apart
SUPPLIES FOR ~2-3 months
BURY DEEP IN SUBSTRATE (you dont want the nutrients leaking out and causing spikes)
15 of them for each person. 3 dollars to cover first class mail shipping.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
green cap. 14-14-14
i know plus is what most people use since it has low phosphate and has micros but with these, my plants are growing like mad and look terrific. It works for me so i dont see a reason to use plus, sure there may be some more benefits, but its not worth the trouble and since it comes in 4 something lb bottles.... way more than anyone will ever need/be able to sell off or give away
phosphates arent that big of a deal either, tom barr keeps high phospates and it actually discourages algae. ive had no trouble with using this in my tanks and im sure it will work for you as long as you bury them appropriately.
@Andrew please pm me

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I use Osmocote "Potshot's" in my planted tank's. They are bound together with some sort of substance and shaped like a thimble.
I place one under each sword plant,crypt,and replace them about every four month's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts