The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I picked up a thing of osmocote pot shots today. Seems like a much cheaper and easer way of fertilzing. But the point beiing, I'm looking for some feedack and results from people who have used these.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
What kind of plants do you have? If you have mostly root feeders, the osmocote should be enough.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
High lighting? Like how high?

Those plants should be alright with osmocote if they are rooted in the substrate. The java fern and anubias might need some water column ferts if they are attached to hardscape.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
roughly 3.5 wpg for the lighting. Formerly a light for a reef tank with new bulbs. The java fern and anubs are both attached to driftwood. I was using tetra florapride, but didn't seem to do much. Any suggestions for a good liquid fert? Tank size is 55 gal, so hopefully not something that requires masive amounts per dose.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Hmm. That sounds like a lot of light. Any algae?

I'd recommend some pfertz macros.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
little to no algae. The water sprite takes the brunt of the light and it diffuses into the tank from there. Plants just seem like they're groing kind of slow. Just started the osmocote today though, so I guess I will have to hurry up and wait to see what happens.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Osmocote plus is the one i use... it has a different formulation to regular osmocote.

Jobe's Fern & Palm spikes is another oldie but goodie

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm running a twin bulb 96 watt pc flourescent. One bulb is a 7500k daylght, the other a 50/50 actinic and 10000k. Haven't seen any negative effects on plants. In fact everything was growing like crazy for awhile, now it's slowed down considerably.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts