The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a Fluval Osaka 320 complete kit. It is a 320L (84G) tank and comes with a 2x54w t-5 HO light. I would be injecting CO2 and EI dosing. I would like to be able to grow just about anything. Would this be enough light?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have an Osaka 320. Light is adequate for most plants. I have Vals, Crypts, Wisteria, Swords that grow like weeds. They aren't demanding plants. C. Furcata, Red Temple are healthy, but grow slowly.

I have CO2 injection, but only at 15ppm and fert with Flourish.

There is enought light to enable algae, so I am still working towards balance in the tank. At this point, I need more CO2 and need to re-eval ferts.

What that means in respect to your question is that the Osaka kit is adequate for most plants, but probably NOT the MOST demanding like a High Light carpet plant.

If you were to add a single, additional fixture you would have plenty of light for anything.

A couple of other notes: I love the look of the tank and I like the convenience of a hanging fixture. The cabinet of the Osaka is a little limiting with two seperate, not so big, compartments. Its also tall. At 6', with 34" sleeves I don't have any trouble reaching the bottom, but it is a stretch.

If I was starting over though, I might just go with a Std 75G, custom furniture and components of my own choice. Its a nice setup though.

AB

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That tank kit is used by some people as a reef tank. So, it necessarily has enough light for any plants you would want to grow. The problem is you need good CO2 - 30+ppm of CO2 in the water, plus non-limiting concentrations of all of the needed nutrients in order to use that light and get the growth it can provide. Adding more light will probably just add more problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts