The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can't add anything of value, but I'm curious what your goal would be in using it for that? Worm castings are basically really fine dirt/compost, is there a use for that in a filter?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some extra laying around and I can't put it in as substrate as my tank is running. That's why I was asking if it would be beneficial in the filter...

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You can freeze it or dry it and stick it in the substrate like a root tab. Putting it in the filter doesn't make sense unless you want to cloud your water.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Would be pumping organic matter into the tank which would give rise to ammonia and dirty stinking water along with probable spectacular algae bloom.IMHO

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have some extra laying around and I can't put it in as substrate as my tank is running. That's why I was asking if it would be beneficial in the filter...

Ok I get it. Not exactly the same situation, but I've got a dirted shrimp tank with a population of some sort of aquatic worms (I suspect black worms but it's hard to tell) and they act like earthworms, they eat the dirt below the sand cap then poop it out above it. And I have to clean out my prefilter about every 3-4 days because it clogs so fast with the very fine silty dirt that gets up into the water column. I had some cories in this tank at one point and they kicked up so much of the stuff you couldn't ever see more than an inch into the tank. So the thought of deliberately adding something along the sames lines makes me wince a bit.

If you do this you're going to have a lot of mess, and like some other people said I'd expect a big algae bloom along with very murky water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts