The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't really know about THOSE particular fertilizers per say, but I always sprinkle some Osmocote Plus in my dirt because Osmocote Plus is used to make root caps for planted tank substrate!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Osmocote is a coated granule fertilizer designed to gradually release the nutrients when used in soil. The fact that some or many of us use it in soil saturated with water doesn't mean it works well or even works at all like it was designed to. I have used it too, loosely and very thinly spread over the bottom of the tank under the substrate. I had no problems that I recognized as being a result of doing that.

The amount of nutrients needed by the plants, from the substrate, is very small, so using organic fertilizers like that could easily become a major problem if more than a very tiny amount is used. Those are intended to be used in soil, not water saturated substrates in an aquarium.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
You could probably use the bonemeal and bat guano for an extra source of nitrogen and phosphate. However they should be used sparingly, especially if you're using dirt that's already rich in organics. I'd skip them unless you're patient enough to wait months for your substrate to stabilize.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts